Guild B-400 series Basses

D

Dirk McQuickley

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
I’m pretty sure that “The Guilds of Grot” is the only person who can answer this question.

I currently own and am restoring a blonde-finished Guild B-302A; what a magnificent sounding bass. I have done a lot of Internet research on the Guild B-300 series of basses and discovered the existence of the B-400 series with active electronics. The B-400 series of basses are so rare that I have found zero comments on how they sound. I am wondering if it is worth the time and effort to add a B-400 series bass to my collection; most likely would only want a B-402A.

So, the question is “How do the B-400 series basses sound relative to their B-300 series equivalents?’

Dirk McQuickley

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.
Dirk McQuickley said:
I’m pretty sure that “The Guilds of Grot” is the only person who can answer this question.
You're probably right. I'm sure Grot will be along shortly.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I'm offended by that picture Frono...

Well to be perfectly honest, I don't play either regularly enough to really give you what you're looking for. I play a pilot all the time.

But, if I remember correctly, I also like the sound of the pick-ups in the B-300's, it's just I can't stand the weight and especially the neck dive! At one time I rigged up a custom guitar strap that I added a dog latch to so I could clip it to a belt loop in a attempt to keep the head up.

The B-400 sounds like a B-300 on steroids! It's the same pick-ups but you can intensify the sound with the active EQ.

I'd get one if I were you! :wink:

D

Dirk McQuickley

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
The Guilds of Grot said:
I think I'm offended by that picture Frono...

Well to be perfectly honest, I don't play either regularly enough to really give you what you're looking for. I play a pilot all the time.

But, if I remember correctly, I also like the sound of the pick-ups in the B-300's, it's just I can't stand the weight and especially the neck dive! At one time I rigged up a custom guitar strap that I added a dog latch to so I could clip it to a belt loop in a attempt to keep the head up.

The B-400 sounds like a B-300 on steroids! It's the same pick-ups but you can intensify the sound with the active EQ.

I'd get one if I were you! :wink:

The neck dive problem is easily fixed by replacing the horn's strap peg with an extension, i.e., a long protruding bolt. These are fairly big basses but at least they are not nearly as heavy as a Peavey T-40 (11 - 12 lb range). I play sitting down all the time so neck dive and weight issues are not an issue.

It's really hard to imagine a B-300 on steroids since the stock pickups are already awesome. There was a B-401 on Ebay just last week with a starting bid price of $850 but I didn't go for it since I was waiting for my account approval on this forum at the time. I prefer the B-402A due to its 2 pickups & aesthetic appearance. Given the extreme rarity of these basses, it may be a long time before one pops up again.

Thanks for your input.

Dirk McQuickley

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Glad i read Grot's comment on the neckdive on the B-300s -- was pondering buying one. The neckdive is really annoying on my JS-II. Annoying enough that I have tried hanging weights off of the back strap peg.

Reaction score
I currently own a B401A and a B301A. In my opinion, the 401 in the active mode puts out the deepest low down tone I have heard and it's clean and not mushy or muddy like a Gibson. I have not really noticed any neck dive on either bass. But, I do have a 4" padded leather strap and that may help?

I do like the 401 better and I do understand that they are so very rare. Good luck on finding one. I wish I had the original case.... Joe

BluesDan

Reaction score

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I wonder if Hans is in the market for this one because of all the documentation.

Willi Fritscher, replied on the back side of the original letter in a hand written note

Seller said:
Then manager and head luthier at the Guild Factory, Willi Fritscher, replied on the back side of the original letter in a hand written note. He states the obvious about the bass, ash body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 34" scale, then goes on to explain that only about 12 pieces were produced with the "Rosewood" top. He also includes the year and the original list price of $599.

No, I'm not interested! Mainly because most of the info in the letter is not correct, including the original list price, which was $ 695.00 in 1980 going up to $ 785.00 in 1981.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
hansmoust said:
No, I'm not interested! Mainly because most of the info in the letter is not correct, including the original list price, which was $ 695.00 in 1980 going up to $ 785.00 in 1981.
Anxiously waiting for Volume II!

:wink: