Cool pic - very odd Guild

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Saw this pic posted on a different forum, Tommy Tedesco (with a nice rig!!) and Carol Kaye, and I can't figure out what the guitar is Kaye is holding - either it's a very odd duck, something that looks like a Capri with a 12-string neck (???), either I'm having a gigantic brain fart and it's something very obvious I'm not thinking of.

Pic is gigantic, so I'll just post a link : CLICK!

BluesDan

Reaction score
Just skimmed through the good book of Hans, got nuthin'. Sure looks like a 12-string Capri with different pups??
Maybe a one-off?

matsickma

Reaction score
It looksl like a blond T100 with black DeArmonds in a 12-string model.

Very unusual. It is also weird how dark the pickup and bridge area is in the picture.

M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Carol Kaye said:
What was your basic rig during your session days as a guitarist?

I started with the Epiphone Emperor and Gibson amp, and quickly bought a Fender Jazzmaster. It had that doo-hicky on it and sounded good, but I changed the pickups for more potent ones. I got a Gibson 12-string acoustic and turned a Guild electric into a 12-string electric before they ever made electric 12-strings for studio work. I also used a banjo and a mandolin, and I bought a gut-string guitar and a Dano bass. You were required to have all of those instruments for record dates. And I bought a Fender Concert amp with an open back and reverb. I even used a fuzztone made by Gibson in the early '60s, instead of taking one tube out of your amp to get that sound!

Rest of interview at Vintage Guitar.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I guess Steve nailed it with finding that interview - it looks like it might be something she had built or modified. Now thàt's a great find!!

Matsickma - duh, yes of course, T-100 - it's a thinline, overlooked that. :oops:

Hans - it's a very small world - that pic was posted on the telecaster forum by Tjarko! :D

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
From the steel guitar forum:
From Carol Kaye's own Forum:
"I also had a custom elec. 12-string guitar made out of an ordinary Guild T-100D 6-string elec. guitar (by repairman ace Milt Owen - he replaced pickups at my request, and fitted in the extra 6 strings on the headstock - it was a thin neck and played good)... I had him put in hot pickups too for potent biting elec. 12-string sounds. This was before elec. 12-string guitars were manufactured. And that's the sounds of the elec. 12-string guitar you hear on the Sonny & Cher records and some other recordings too."
So there you go.
Nick Allen

She also played 12-string on a Frank Zappa album. Maybe it was this T-1000.

Steve Hoffman

Reaction score
I love looking at that picture of the Wrecking Crew in the studio. Lest we imagine that it was somehow romantic when recording back then, notice the dump that was the studio? The cigarette butts stomped on the floor, etc.

Great music though.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ms Kaye said: ".... I put a DeArmond pickup on it for gigs and used a Gibson amp - I think it was a 1 X 12, and it was well-built."

An Honorable Mention 8)

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Steve Hoffman said:
I love looking at that picture of the Wrecking Crew in the studio.

Yes, and talking of pictures, maybe you should return the Johnny Smith photo that you got from me more than 3 years ago. I assume that you're not going to keep your word and send me the stuff you promised to trade!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Steve Hoffman

Reaction score
I win the 10$ bet. It took you less than 1/2 hour to respond.

Didn't your guitar buddy tell you I have your picture in storage and you could have it any time? He told me he told you.

Just PM me.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Steve Hoffman said:
It took you less than 1/2 hour to respond.

Yes, which is something that you could have done many years ago after I e-mailed you several times.

Didn't your guitar buddy tell you I have your picture in storage and you could have it any time? He told me he told you.

Yes, he did!

Just PM me.

I already e-mailed you many times. Just return the photo in the condition you received it from me, to my address in the Netherlands.

Hans Moust
P.O. Box 9578
4801 LN Breda
the Netherlands

Sincerely,

Hans Moust