extra heavy rotosounds on an ABG?

Mikeoso

Reaction score
OK, so...I play a lot of ABG, and it's all unplugged. mostly with an oldtime string band, also some blues stuff. the guitar is a Martin B-1. here's the deal...I've been hearing that you can get a sound more like an upright out of the Rotosound Trubass black nylons. I also see they're a very low tension. I ordered a set, and went with the 5-string set, whci runs .065-.135. My thinking is that if the tension is all that low, I can put the 4 biggest striings on, making it a 4 string set that runs from .075 to .135, getting more mass, more thump, and I'd think more volume. what do you all think? will this give better sound and more volume than the bronze round wound set I play? will it damage the guitar? I can't find any tension numbers.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I put fender flatwounds on my acoustic bass and they do make it sound more like an upright. I think the sound is 100 times better, but then I hate the sound of phosphor bronze bass strings (or any roundwound bass string for that matter). As for the tension I can't really comment. I've only had the rotosound black nylon tapewounds on one bass a couple of years ago, but didn't leave them on long because i didn't like the plastic clank sound that i would get occasionally. As far as I remember the tension wasn't that low... they are a bigger gauge, but i think that only means it's a normal size metal string, wrapped in nylon tape....