4 Hours of fingerstyle holiday music

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
Have a 4-hour solo private party gig tonight; found out Wednesday they want just guitar (no vocals) and all Christmas carol-type music. Wow. :shock:
I've always wondered how long I could make Jingle Bells last! Figure I'll stretch my material (such as it is...) to two hours and then do it all again on 12 string. Maybe I should take the looper and take a Hendrix-type solo over "Adeste Fideles."
I don't get buterflies too much anymore, but I'm kinda' worried about this one! :wink:

Frosty

Reaction score
I play fingerstyle gigs, but never been asked for non-stop holiday music... for four hours! Russ - keep us posted. I could use some tips on this one.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck. Let us know how things go, please.

It sounds like you are being relegated to background music in which case you can probably get away with one 50 minute setlist that you reorder and play 4 times. I've got a friend who does that in her string quartet and it usually works unless there is someone who is lonely and bored and actually sits and listens to the sets. Even then, they are usually lonely and pathetic enough to joke about the repetition and not complain.

Depending upon what you already have "under your fingers" you may be able to get away with repurposing some tunes as Christmas tunes.

If all else fails and you can grab a hymnal of some kind, you may get some ideas or be able to find something you can use as a basis for improvisation.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Russ, In the old days we used to play the old 33 1/3 LPs at half speed to try to learn some of the licks. Perhaps.........oh never mind.... good luck! Hey, where's the 'alien' dog? Have you taken a close look at that engraved guitar? Quite a party goin' on there. :oops: :lol: Steffan

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Talk a lot between songs and take long breaks between sets :wink: .....you'll knock 'em dead Russ. Don't they know how well you sing? :shock:

West

Frosty

Reaction score
taabru45 said:
Russ, In the old days we used to play the old 33 1/3 LPs at half speed to try to learn some of the licks.

I remember those days! Fondly, in an odd sort of way - kind of like wistfully recalling some past hardship. :wink:

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, that wasn't so bad! Just a case of needing to let the customer know what they wanted. Played a few background tunes, then spotted some bored kids and their folks, asked them to come help and ended up playing carols with kids most of the evening and singing a couple myself. Great way to spend a few hours.
As always, thanks for your support, guys.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
1036535672_gif.gif

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Somehow I knew with that showbiz type personality, you'd shine. Glad you had a great time Russ......as did your audience I'm sure.

West