mellowgerman

Reaction score
My '65 starfire!!!
DSC00923.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

mellowgerman

Reaction score
haha i'll try not to.
yup just got her today. sounds sooo good and feels fantastic. i'll have sound clips up sometime soon.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
actually, according to the guild site, it looks like it's a '66. either way though, a very groovy instrument.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool - I'm interested to hear how it sounds - I've got a '67 Starfire I with the pickup by the neck.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
mellowgerman said:
here's a quick sound clip. it doesn't really do the bass much justice but you get the idea.
also, i have an imaginary cookie for anyone who can identify the song:)
http://www.supload.com/music/Starfire-d ... 0T0DT.html

In Time from Crown of Creation. I immediately started singing along with you but it took me some time to recall the title. I only have Crown on vinyl at the moment.

I can has cookie now?

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
A very fluid and graceful playing style there.

gilded

Reaction score
mg,

Just saw the pics! Reminds me of my bass, except yours is in better shape (not kidding)! I like your bass very much.

I'm out of town, 'visiting' the internet on a friend's computer and can't figure out how to turn on the sound, but when I get back to my home, I'll check out your vid.

Say, if you like flatwound strings, try some Thomastik 32" Jazz Flats. They'll fit on your bass just fine and they sound mighty good!

By the way, if you think you have enough frame of reference from playing both your Bisonic-equipped SF and your Darkstar-equipped JS II, I would like to hear your thoughts on the difference between the two pickups.

Congrats, gilded

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I've heard good things about thomastiks and that's very cool that they make a 32" set. Right now I have a set of 5yr old fender flats which sound excellent. They were my first set of flats and the only fender set I've actually like since. guess i got lucky... i'll give those thomastiks a try next
I'd love to see pictures of your starfire!
Also, I used to have an Ibanez artcore with a darkstar in almost the exact position as my starfire's bisonic. The only big difference is that the ibanez was full scale. I have since sold it to a friend who is coming to visit in about a month. when he does I'll record side by side soundclips and write a post to compare the two.
At this point it's hard for me to say since my last darkstars were in very different positions on the bass and it would be a solidbody/semihollow comparison as well. But I will say that my starfire is likely the bass sound I've ever heard... so i there are definite tonal differences:D
But I'll give an in depth analysis soon.

gilded

Reaction score
Lot's of 30" basses work with a 32" scale set of strings, usually because the bridges are designed in a way that the strings are an inch or two back from the saddle. Fender Mustang basses are like that, EB2 Gibson (I think), Starfires and Guild JS basses, too, right?

Your bass sounds a lot like mine, though it's a little hard to tell with the computer speakers, plus I pluck the strings in a different place than you appear to. My bass' serial no. is BA 54x. Yours has the same black plastic saddles as mine, too.

If you want to see a pic of mine, just search under the word Krylon. You'll see it in all of it's glory.

gilded