1961 Supro Coronado

axiology

Reaction score
A recent Ebay acquisition. It appears to have a bookmatched, arched spruce top, without f-holes - like the Guild Aristocrat, but it's laminated. The pickups look like humbuckers, but they're single coils, with magnets taking up the additional space under the covers. This is not a attempt to decieve - apparently they were patented about 1952/53 - 5 years before gibson started producing guitars with humbucking pickups.
The Coronado model seemed to change appearance every few years, in 1962 it became an ugly(IMO) fiberglass bodied guitar. Supro guitars/amps were made by Valco, the company which also made National and Airline brands. The Airline "Jetsons" model has become valuable because it's used by Jack White of White Stripes.

Edit: Just checked the serial number online - it's a 1961, not 1959.

SDC10250b.jpg

Andrew
Guild 2002 Rockabilly
Guild Peregrine Custom
Guild 1978 B302-A Bass

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: 1959 Supro Coronado

Nice acquisition Andrew.

Old Supros are starting to fetch good money, no doubt in part because of the White connection. I suspect that, over the years, a good many have been purchased by guys seeking the pickups only, and the rest has gone into the trash !

Dual Tones seem to be the most-sought Supros, at least judging by the prices they're fetching.

I bought a '53 Supro Ozark a couple of years ago from a US dealer, and note that prices have risen since that time.

I guess you're aware that Eastwood resurrected the brand.............http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/..... albeit under the Airline name.

I have a pair of (Eastwood) Supro repro. pickups mounted in a Dano. U2...... pretty cool slide sound !

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

axiology said:
.. Supro guitars/amps were made by Valco, the company which also made National and Airline brands...
Hi Andrew; Valco, along with Danelectro, also made a number of the Silvertone amps. That's a really cool guitar! CJ

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

What is it about a thin hollowbody? It pretty much doesn't matter who makes it, but I start drooling whenever I see one.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Andrew, that is one monstrously cool looking guitar, congratulations. I'm jealous!
I have a '56 Dual Tone that my tech and me sort of "restored". Great little guitar, and Supros don't deserve the "funky junk" rep they have IMO, funky yes, junk, no.

axiology

Reaction score

As we've gotten onto the subject of Dual Tones, this is the National version of the Dual Tone, called a Stylist, i've had about 8 years. The Stylist seems to be a lot more uncommon than the Dual Tone. From Tom Wheelers book American Guitars the original cost of the Dual Tone was $135, and the Stylist $159. The only obvious difference is the neck - the Stylist has an angled headstock, and the Dual has a flat headstock, a one piece neck, similar in construction to Fender necks, and the neck/body attachment is different.
I'm missing the original switch knob, and the little second pickguard. The pickup covers and tailpiece are made out of brass.
I like the funky art-deco look of the Supro/National instruments. I think the build quality is not as good as Gibsons and Guilds, they were less expensive instruments. For one thing they've got no adjustable truss rod - you've got to make sure that you get one with a good neck!

Andrew

SDC10254a.jpg

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

Very cool guitar. Those single coil pickups are really wonderful. The bridge set up is what usually stops me with these. Don't know how well they serve that body design.

MD

axiology

Reaction score

mad dog said:
Very cool guitar. Those single coil pickups are really wonderful. The bridge set up is what usually stops me with these. Don't know how well they serve that body design.

MD

The rosewood floating bridge is certainly unusual on a solidbody, assuming that's the guitar you're referring to. I have no problem with, it's part of the mojo!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

And again I'm drooling - I'm familiar with the National "Dual Tone equivalent", but have never seen one in person. Very nice.

Mad Dog, those rosewood bridges are just fine, nothing wrong with them. I have a Tune-a-matic on my Dual-tone, but that's because I put a Bigsby on it, and didn't want to saw through the bridge.

axiology

Reaction score
There's one of these Coronado's on Ebay right now - not mine. Though the starting bid is almost $100 more than I paid :( , and I got a hardshell TKL case with mine.... make sure the neck is good. The pickups will likely have to be wax potted. I'm just looking into doing mine. It sounds good overdriven, but squeals a bit.

Andrew