Never buy a "Gilled" Guitar

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah Frono... that's Amber, "back in the day".

Here's a recent photo. of her out shopping................

milenavelba005.jpg

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
coastie99 said:
Was it "Smoker" Roach ?

I remember it was some guy who wore a Cod-piece, and Smoker Roach did. Always claimed that he kept his stash in it.

Or, maybe that was Ian Anderson ?

Here's another band you might remember; "Thanks 4 the Mammaries".................

Img217.jpg

Was the drummer the titular head of the band :?:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
BobsterMan said:
this is getting really bad... i holding onto my pike so i don't fall off my perch.

gotta go... time for sauger practice.

Bobster - shirley you knew it could get this bad bafore you joined up :shock: At least Grammy hasn't gotten involved - things could really deteriorate - maybe even to a bit of prawn (shrimp to you Americans) :mrgreen:

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
I actually spoke to a captain who took the whole band "Thanks 4 the Mammaries" out for some off-shore fishing one time. Said he veered off course several times that day. Trouble was, none of the girls wanted to deal with the bait so he had to take care of that duty all day as well. He said by the time the day was done he had become a master baiter.

BobsterMan

Reaction score
eastie... a "master baiter" ?? that almost reminds me of my university days when they respected my language skills when they referred to me as a "cunning linguist"... at least that's what I think they meant... or it could have been that I had the odour of a ling cod... dunno for sure.

and you Jer... here as a realignment for you... no Uncle Sam for me... you hoser! I'm Canadian, eh. and don't call me Shirley. I'm suffocating... I need a place that's calm and airy...

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well Bobster - I can understand your embarrassment in confessing you come from the same country as Grammy (your address is not admitted under your Avatar), but I was guessing (perhaps wrongly as Canadians spell colour, odour, harbour etc correctly, even though they drive on the wrong side of the road) that in line with your US cousins you term a prawn a shrimp - so thought I'd better add a translation. A translation not needed obviously for Coastie or other antipodeans - I'm sure Gary well understands the term 'two prawns short of a barbie'. The term 'American' was used to embrace United States and Canadian citizens as shorthand for 'North American' - I really didn't mean it as an insult.

I hope this offers a ray of light on the subject, I really did want to skate round the reply as that might be like trying to dab spirit on a wound, which would be a shellfish thing to do :mrgreen:

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
I don't want to appear sailfish either, so, on the topic of gilled guitars - that's all I've got to say about that (say, that reminds me of Bubba Gump - oh, never mind, better not go there). See you on the serious topics. :D

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
JerryR said:
The term 'American' was used to embrace United States and Canadian citizens as shorthand for 'North American' - I really didn't mean it as an insult.

Who's being insulted again?
confuse.gif

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Default said:
JerryR said:
The term 'American' was used to embrace United States and Canadian citizens as shorthand for 'North American' - I really didn't mean it as an insult.

Who's being insulted again?
confuse.gif

Give it a re-read and draw your own conclusions - I did point out he was from the same country as Graham (and managed to insult the antipodeans at the same time) :wink:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"The Antipodeans were a group of Australian modern artists who asserted the importance of figurative art, and protested against abstract expressionism. They staged a single exhibition in Melbourne during August 1959."

How can you possibly insult them?
They only had one exhibition, for crying out loud!

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
Default said:
"The Antipodeans were a group of Australian modern artists who asserted the importance of figurative art, and protested against abstract expressionism. They staged a single exhibition in Melbourne during August 1959."

Here in the southern US back in the 60's we had a small but vocal group of protesters that called themselves the "Antibodines". Seems they were insulted by the Beverly Hillbillies show.
:)

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Default said:

How can you possibly insult them?
They only had one exhibition, for crying out loud!

Sigh - You're right - it is impossible to insult Coastie :roll:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
eastcoastbuzz said:
I actually spoke to a captain who took the whole band "Thanks 4 the Mammaries" out for some off-shore fishing one time. Said he veered off course several times that day. Trouble was, none of the girls wanted to deal with the bait so he had to take care of that duty all day as well. He said by the time the day was done he had become a master baiter.

That would surely be Captain Peter ("Pud") Pullar........ he's referenced in the Mammaries biography, "Ain't No Tit-For-Tat Here !"

It isn't a bad read, but doesn't reveal a lot that we don't already know. One assumes that at around the time that publicity shot was taken, the Mammaries had revealed pretty much all that they were ever going to.

Happily, in one of the chapters, a little more light is shone on the notorious "Norks To Alaska" tour of the early sixties. And there's a couple of surprises in as far as the influence they had on other musicians. It's a little known fact that they opened a couple of The Bands Canadian gigs ! Robbie Robertson was so impressed with the gals that he was inspired to write "Chest Fever" in their honour.

And on another occasion, after having appeared with the Shadows, and stealing the show, Hank Marvin created "36-24-36" honouring The Mascara Funk, the nom-de-stage used by bass-player Drucilla Bangs. Which she apparently did. Quite a lot !
Now, I'm wondering if these girls influenced Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band at all ?

I must dig that book out some time, and see what other funky facts I can find.