Never buy a "Gilled" Guitar

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
I had a friend who swore he would never buy another "Gilled" guitar. Said the sound "just died" if he kept it out of the water too long. On the up side, he did say that it was great for gigging because it was easy to spot in the shallows. I'm sorry everybody.

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
Said he used to take it out in the sound and try to find a hole. He would usually anchor under the bridge. He also said he had some treble with the bass.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
All seemed a bit fishy to me, but I had a whale of a time reading it. I suppose he used it to play sole music :?: I think those were made in Finland rather than US made, but I don't want to carp on about it :mrgreen:

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
OK. I checked with my buddy and he gave me some additional information. He did indeed add a fishman pickup. It was not made in Finland but did have fin-ish checking. Turns out it had a pretty intriguing history. It seems the original owner was Marlin Brando and he had dubbed her "Gilda". But sadly, he does not even know where the thing is today - seems he lobster and he never flounder.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I imagine Buzz's buddy had to amplify his Gilled because he was Herring-impaired !

I had an old Chum years ago who had a Gilled; sounded pretty Crappie, but then, he had no musical ambitions.... he only played for the Halibut.

He Floundered around on that thing, and eventually attracted the attention of the little red-haired Ho next door, Anne Chovie, who he affectionately christened the Orange Roughy. Unfortunately, the relationship fell apart when he made a clumsy attempt to Grouper. She Skated off pretty smartly, and last I heard, she had married a bloke named John Dory.

Undeterred and unphased, my Chum cocked a Snook and practised harder on his Gilled. He eventually formed a band named Rockfish, who briefly challenged Fleetwood Mackerel on the English charts. They had a #12 hit with a re-make of the Beatles "Here Comes the Sunfish". Last I heard of them, they were doing Sole covers at the stunned Mullet.

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
Great information Coastie!! I remember Rockfish well. Wasn't the bass player a girl? I think her name was Amber Jack. And weren't they known for having a black drum set (or was it red drum)?

BobsterMan

Reaction score
this is getting really bad... i holding onto my pike so i don't fall off my perch.

gotta go... time for sauger practice.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Amber Jack ! ....... Yeah !!

I remember those Fish-net stockings and her old-School technique. The lead guitarist's licks were a bit Hoki though !

Can't recall a black drum-kit though. But then, I never saw them perform on a Friday !

Shame about the demise of Rockfish......... fell prey to a loanShark in the mid-seventies.

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
I remember the guy on vocals, too. He provided the creative force that kept the band going. Problem was, he could only get a song started and never seemed to be able to finish it. He would come up with this great guitar riff and a really cool first phrase for the lyrics. He was pretty much known as Rockfish's hook, line and singer. Do you remember his name, Coastie??

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Was it "Smoker" Roach ?

I remember it was some guy who wore a Cod-piece, and Smoker Roach did. Always claimed that he kept his stash in it.

Or, maybe that was Ian Anderson ?

Here's another band you might remember; "Thanks 4 the Mammaries".................

Img217.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
coastie99 said:
Amber Jack ! ....... Yeah !!

I remember those Fish-net stockings and her old-School technique. The lead guitarist's licks were a bit Hoki though !

?

OR

amberjack.jpg

eastcoastbuzz

Reaction score
Nice one, frono! Yeah it was old "Smoker" Roach! Sadly, he later became known as "Croaker" Roach when his vehicle fishtailed on the freeway.