New Project Guitar

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Hi Jerry,
Not too much happening at the moment...a busy time of year and all...but did manage to..

get the back peices glued together...( click on the pics)
I liked the grain in the wood so much I decided not to use a back strip.

get the neck blank together and glue on the Ebony headstoch overlay.
Here Mike is starting to check the layout for the headstock inlay..
You can see the non-adjustable epoxy/graphite truss rod..( kind of cool) :wink: We both have some time off next week so I should be able to post a little more progress then. Thanks for your intrest. :D

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Ok guys and Gals...made just a little more progress:
*****all pics are thumbnails*******

Rough cut out of the back

inside of back..you can see the cut out for the cut-away and layout for back bracing

rough cut out of neck and slotted headstock. Still have to angle and round out openings.

Top cut out for cut-awy and rosette

inside of top laid out for fan bracing

bridge plate being glued inplace. Note that the jig is a 30' arch in both directions. This gives the guitar much more strength. the back and sides are arched in the same manner of course. Tomorrow if all goes well should have the fan bracing on the top finished. This is becomming quite a learning experience for me....today we cut out a whole bunch of tops and backs and side sets. I am greatfull for my years as a carpenter/cabinet maker for the ease in wich I am able to go from machine to machine. But, I am in awe sometimes of the process involved to do wood working of this caliber!!....as you can imagine...I am having a blast!!

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Hi Graham,
I have done about 80% of what you see here..under Mikes watchful eye of course. I do the "easy " things like cut out the rough shapes, glueing, and sanding. Mike inlaid the rosette and slotted the peg head. Mike builds several guitars at a time. So I get to cut out a bunch of sides and backs and tops, ect. Mike laid out where the fan bracing will go. Tomorrow we will glue it on but, he will do the really important things like tap tune the bracing for the top,ect.....I have no skills other than some advanced cabenitry knowhow. I do the carpentry and cabenitry for the "Irvings" down here ( The ones from Canada) But that does not get me too far. I am good though at setting up the saws and other machinery. ( the dummy stuff) But I an learning and having a ball! I will be bending the sides ect.
Too Kool 4 skool!! but I would not know where to begin without Mikes guidence. It helps to have known each other all of our lives , went to school together and played in several bands in our younger days..That is before he got too big for us and went on tour with Frank Wakefield and others!haha!

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Steelpickin' said:
I have no skills other than some advanced cabenitry knowhow.

Always selling your self short Larry. My cabinetry skills come from IKEA, which I believe is Swedish for "plywood". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sweet stuff though, it would be a blast just to hang out in a place like that.

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Hi Jerry!
Most traditional Classical and Flemenco guitars are built without any truss rod at all, since the stress is only around 90lbs (give or take) depending if a player is using high tension strings or not. The idea behind the epoxy/graphite rod is just to give a little more insurence against warpage. :)

Hand fitting fan bracing over the bridge plate

Getting one of the sides ready to bend. Mike sprays them with a little water and wraps the side in aluminium foil. This helps hold moisture in while bending and also helps to prevent burning.

Here I'm bending one of the sides. Note I am wearing gloves. You wont believe how hot three 200watt bulbs can get!!

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Ok boys and girls here are just a few more:

Here I am rough carving the Fan braces with a hand chisel

shaping with a small block plane although you cant see it at this angle

While Mike begins to bend the "cut-a-way" on a teardrop shaped bending iron

sides roughly bent to shape. Still need a little more hand bending and to cut to length. I am having a blast!!! :D

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
A little more progress: Have all the top bracing in place. Now just a little final sanding and such.....all thumbnails...

Here Mike singed and dated the top and I singed the brace on the upper bout. Too Kool!
you can also see the neck block is glued in place.

Here I spent a good amount of time this morning getting the headstock inlay just where I wanted it and lightly gluing it in place so it can be traced and routed out....I think I am gonna like it!
I slipped the tuners in place just to help me visualize exactly where I wanted the inlay to line up...

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
steel, way cool.
this for sure looks like a straight to the heart project. congrats.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Steelpickin' said:

Here I spent a good amount of time this morning getting the headstock inlay just where I wanted it and lightly gluing it in place so it can be traced and routed out....I think I am gonna like it!
I slipped the tuners in place just to help me visualize exactly where I wanted the inlay to line up...

What a great perspective Larry, thanks for taking the time to take these pics.

Are these called open headstocks?

Are there pluses/minuses to those?

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Hi Graham,
Yes thats what known as an open headstock. These days its pretty much done to keep the "traditional" look. Way back in the days of Olden :wink:
tuners were made out of bone or ivory or ebony and were friction tuners
kind of like on a violin. it was easier to have an open headslot for stringing them up. Then metal gears came along and the buttons could be pointed twords the back to get them out of the way......and they all lived happily ever after. thats my story and I'm stickin' to it :mrgreen:

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
They are also called slotted headstocks. Another advantage of having the tuning pegs all facing to the back is that the capstans are all strung from the top and they all turn the same direction relative to the player. This is also the thought behind Fender headstocks - all strings are wound onto the capstans the same way. Yes, some players get confused about three-on-a-side tuners --- whether the string is wound clockwise or counterclockwise on the peg, and whether the tuners "on top" twist away and the tuners "on the bottom" twist toward them. Life can be hard.