Guild Total
john,
I read this whole thread today, and I only want to say:
Thank you for being you here. :)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Michael; thank you for the nice thoughts but you can thank Donnie for my being here ... he could have kicked me off many times. :wink: J

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Hi Michael; thank you for the nice thoughts but you can thank Donnie for my being here ... he could have kicked me off many times. :wink: J
If I think properly, you are right. I' complain. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Johann

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
GA30RV on eBay now .... $1,600 BIN .... :shock: :shock: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: No ... I don't know why they list them that way. Cleaner than mine ... fresh caps and original speakers. Except for the price, very attractive .... 3X6EU7, 1X12AU7, twin 6V6s/5Y3 recitifier including choke input at filter Auction Link

GA30RVx.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Spectacular GA77RV on eBay here: This is the third of the short-lived '59-'62 tweed Gibson amps with on-board reverb; the GA19RVT (with trem and 12" speaker), the GA30RV (drop the trem, add an 8" speaker, upsize cabinet), and the GA77 with twin 6L6s, three 6EU7s and a 12AU7 driver in the preamp. It has a choke in the power supply to abate sag and a beefy GZ34/5AR4 rectifier. 15" period-correct/original(?) speaker and in very rare condition.

Front-5.jpg

Back-2.jpg

Top.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's spectacular!
[sourgrapes]Fortunately, I don't have the room for it.[/sourgrapes]

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine how it escaped the ciggie burns, hot cup rings, and the split corners ... like it's been in a time capsule ... :shock:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe it had an owner like the Reverborocket? It was his home amp and not a gigging amp?

Speaking of which, I ran into DocWayne from the telecaster forum and he recommended cleaning the control panels of amps with wd40. He says that it's less likely to take the lettering off. I was using Brasso and that didn't seem to damage the silkscreening, but I was wondering what you thought about that.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I've never tried WD40 ... I've tried Flitz and it's no good with silk-screen lettering ... but if Brasso works ... Agree; it looks like it went in the front door and never came out again.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yes; it's really remarkable ... probably the reason our parents didn't want us to beat up our stuff back in the day ... it's about 50 years old.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
... DocWayne from the telecaster forum and he recommended cleaning the control panels of amps with wd40. He says that it's less likely to take the lettering off. I was using Brasso and that didn't seem to damage the silkscreening ...
... maybe one of us ought to get in touch with the seller of the GA18 linked below ... asked them what they used ... so it could be avoided pics 3 and 4. Otherwise in vg condition.

BluesDan

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Default said:
... DocWayne from the telecaster forum and he recommended cleaning the control panels of amps with wd40. He says that it's less likely to take the lettering off. I was using Brasso and that didn't seem to damage the silkscreening ...
... maybe one of us ought to get in touch with the seller of the GA18 linked below ... asked them what they used ... so it could be avoided pics 3 and 4. Otherwise in vg condition.

My guess would be scouring/abrasive pad of some sort more so than the actual cleaning agent.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
BluesDan said:
.. My guess would be scouring/abrasive pad of some sort more so than the actual cleaning agent.
Hi Dan; sure looks like it. I've had mixed results with Flitz; didn't lift the lettering on one amp, did on another ... haven't tried the Brasso yet; it's not abrasive but then neither was the Flitz. It seems like it has something to do with whatever chemical loosens the bond between the lettering and the metal or acts as a solvent. :?

BluesDan

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
BluesDan said:
.. My guess would be scouring/abrasive pad of some sort more so than the actual cleaning agent.
Hi Dan; sure looks like it. I've had mixed results with Flitz; didn't lift the lettering on one amp, did on another ... haven't tried the Brasso yet; it's not abrasive but then neither was the Flitz. It seems like it has something to do with whatever chemical loosens the bond between the lettering and the metal or acts as a solvent. :?

Never tried WD40 for amp cleaning but I know for certain it will break down glue and act as a solvent. WD40 is great for removing unwanted stickers / decals because of the fact that it breaks down the adhesive. If I were to try it on an amp I would do so sparingly and with caution.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's the operative word right there. I'm using Brasso with q-tips around the lettering. I want to avoid touching the paint if at all possible.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Fab; a year or so ago, we were all muttering about how much the economic decline would tear down values for vintage gear. It isn't exactly a scientific thing but collector-grade stuff doesn't look like it's giving up any ground at all. J