Late 30's Zenith 6V6 radio tubes

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I have a 6V6G tube from an old Zenith (late 30's) radio. It's a large coke-bottle type shape w greyed-out glass and a black bakelite base. Is there any reason NOT to try swapping it for the 6v6 in my amp?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi AJ: if your amp is post-1950, the octal socket usually has a locating or indexing slot to accept the corresponding 'bump' on the side of post-war 6V6s bases. If you aren't certain of the orientation, I don't think you can safely put it in. Assuming you can confirm which is the 'right way', there's the matter of how much voltage the tube is rated for v. what your power supply is feeding the plate. Late 50s/early 60s A/B 6V6 amps typically run any where from 290V to 325V on the plates. Can you determine the plate voltage in what it came out of and compare that to the plate voltage of what it's going in to? We have a BBer who runs coke-bottle 6V6s but his are Mazdas; military grade tubes. Good luck! CJ

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That vintage is is rated anywhere from 360 to 450 on the plate. I couldn't tell you whether you could get away with it or not. I've got a coke bottle 6v6 in my collection, but it's a early fifties vintage military tube(I think. I got it from a relative-long story).

sorry, though 6l6g!

the 6v6g is rated 350 max on the plate, according to tdsl personal edition.

teleharmonium

Reaction score
I like 6V6Gs and have tried a few types in various amps. Mazda and G.E.C. 6V6Gs sound great, in my experience. I think you're pretty safe going between 6V6G and GT types, the only ones I don't bother with are the metal tube versions. 6L6 tubes can be a different story, I wouldn't put 6L6Gs into an amp set up for 6L6GCs without consulting my amp tech.