Guild S-280 vs S-284

yoni

Reaction score
Tell me what I got here folks. I found this forum while researching my guitar that I've had for about 10 years. So this is my first post. I bought the Guild because my dad has F-30 that he bought new in 64 that I love to play when I see him and constantly ask for him to just give up and let me have it. Anyway I've had this for about 10 years and it doesn't get very much playing and really need some guidance, Do I sell it to fund a new amp or do I mod it and see if that spurs the playing.

DSC01543.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01544-1.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
Looks like you have a S-281 Flyer. It is one of the more rare models with the maple fretboard. Flyers are one of the few Guild solidbodies that offer a maple fretboard.

M

BluesDan

Reaction score
yoni said:
Tell me what I got here folks. I found this forum while researching my guitar that I've had for about 10 years. So this is my first post. I bought the Guild because my dad has F-30 that he bought new in 64 that I love to play when I see him and constantly ask for him to just give up and let me have it. Anyway I've had this for about 10 years and it doesn't get very much playing and really need some guidance, Do I sell it to fund a new amp or do I mod it and see if that spurs the playing.

DSC01543.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01544-1.jpg

Yup, S-281 Flyer.
I recently purchased one in red, specifically for the maple "ala Strat" fretboard. I didn't bond with her at first even though she had a great feel. Sent her out to have some fretwork done and a proper set-up by a local luthier. Got her back and she has been getting plenty of play time. Feels and sounds as good as alot of strats I have played. Whatever these "California" humbuckers are, they put out some decent tone. As for guidance whether to keep or sell......only you can decide that one. The only thing I will say is that if you sell and have regrets down the road, the maple fretboard versions don't come up for sale too often.
Oh, and welcome to LTG!!!!

P1010019-1.jpg

yoni

Reaction score
BluesDan said:
yoni said:

DSC01543.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01544-1.jpg

Yup, S-281 Flyer.
I recently purchased one in red, specifically for the maple "ala Strat" fretboard. I didn't bond with her at first even though she had a great feel. Sent her out to have some fretwork done and a proper set-up by a local luthier. Got her back and she has been getting plenty of play time. Feels and sounds as good as alot of strats I have played. Whatever these "California" humbuckers are, they put out some decent tone. As for guidance whether to keep or sell......only you can decide that one. The only thing I will say is that if you sell and have regrets down the road, the maple fretboard versions don't come up for sale too often.
Oh, and welcome to LTG!!!!

P1010019-1.jpg

Thanks. I'm actually selling her tomorrow to by complete coincidence a fellow member of the forum.

ant_riv

Reaction score
Hello-
I have two of what I believe are either the S280 or S281.

Elongated strat-type body style, pointy headstock. I think they are both from '84 or '85.

One is a cherry sunburst and is definitely a flame-maple body (all they way through) and bolt-on (rosewood fb) with flamed-maple neck. It came stock with EMG active pups and a Kahler.
The other also came stock with EMGs and a Kahler but I would swear the body is mahogany. See-through wine red finish.

Great guitars, but as someone mentioned, not very popular.

guildzilla

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG, ant_riv. A mahogany body would be a new twist, but these models had so many combinations. Could you post a pic?