DAGDAD Tuning

12stringer

Reaction score
Just discovered this tuning and am learning the song Goin' To Caifornia by Led Zepplin...what a treat to play this song...I have done drop D tuning before but this is just great! :)

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There is a world of fun in open tunings.... Try tuning your guitar to an E chord. Thats fun too...(thats just tuning up the 5,4 strings a tone and 3 up 1/2 tone) you can bar across all the strings, of for some fun just the bottom 4 strings...or do wake up little suzie. open, third fret, fifth fret. open....wake up little susie.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbLuWciX ... related.... by the Everly Brothers....

12stringer

Reaction score
Hey, love that "Wake Up Little Suzie"...especially the electric guitar fills. Lotsa fun there...will get to that E tuning real soon. Thanks for the inspire!
Randy

Pappy

Reaction score
Sometimes I tune my acoustic DADADD because it doesn't have a truss rd and I don't have to worry about messing it up. It's really cool doubling up the high Ds and doing double stops that sound exactly alike. And fretting the same fret on the open A strings and moving those around make for some pretty cool sounds too. I got it from a Creed song, but it's still a good tuning.;-)

12stringer

Reaction score
Pappy said:
Sometimes I tune my acoustic DADADD because it doesn't have a truss rd and I don't have to worry about messing it up. It's really cool doubling up the high Ds and doing double stops that sound exactly alike. And fretting the same fret on the open A strings and moving those around make for some pretty cool sounds too. I got it from a Creed song, but it's still a good tuning.;-)

Thanks for the tuning Pappy...I will give it a go... :wink:

Andy Hiwatt

Reaction score
this sounds very strange to me..I always thought that Going To California was originally played in a "Dropped D " tuning: DADGBE....I played it like that for ages, I even developed an arrangement in a standard tuning ,that is pretty identical to the dropped D tuning ,except for the bass D string...

Another fine Led Zep tune ( but mutuated from the great Bert Jansch and Davey Graham arrangements) is "Blackmountainside" played in DADGAD..and while you're there you can mix it with "White Summer" also in the same tuning....have fun!!!!

12stringer

Reaction score
Andy Hiwatt said:
this sounds very strange to me..I always thought that Going To California was originally played in a "Dropped D " tuning: DADGBE....I played it like that for ages, I even developed an arrangement in a standard tuning ,that is pretty identical to the dropped D tuning ,except for the bass D string...

Another fine Led Zep tune ( but mutuated from the great Bert Jansch and Davey Graham arrangements) is "Blackmountainside" played in DADGAD..and while you're there you can mix it with "White Summer" also in the same tuning....have fun!!!!

Well I have been playing "Goin to California" mostly by ear and watching a few players and Jimmy Page of course playing it on youtube. I also use a flat pick technique instead of fingerpicking in the same style as Roger Hodgson. For 12 string it is easier this way for me. Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely check them out! Happy Pickin!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
If there's anything I miss about my F-512, it's "Goin' To California"... :cry:

Zol

Reaction score
Nice topic! I've always done Going to California with a DGDGBE tuning! - not sure if it's what's on the albim, but it's worked for me. Another nice tuning that Page uses, and I think this is correct - but not 100%, it's in Bron-Yr-Aur and a couple others. CACGCE. Peace - Z

12stringer

Reaction score
Zol said:
Nice topic! I've always done Going to California with a DGDGBE tuning! - not sure if it's what's on the albim, but it's worked for me. Another nice tuning that Page uses, and I think this is correct - but not 100%, it's in Bron-Yr-Aur and a couple others. CACGCE. Peace - Z
I just had a look at the youtube of led zep's Goin to California" and Jimmy is definitely using the double drop d tuning DADGBD...I like the way it sounds and it is pretty neat to play around with too! The hi d adds that mystical openess to the sound especially when playing the "A" chord (x07650) and the "D" chord (000775) up at the 5th fret. Another neat chord is at the beginning of the bridge (000767)....lotsa fun! :wink: