What are your best gear finds?

boss55chevy

Reaction score
Good deals guys!!!! I've had a few amazing deals.

1.) In the late 70's a local music store had a huge box of old amp covers. (brown Fender, Ampeg etc etc) on the side of the box they had written in magic marker: "$5. for all". Needless to say, I bought them.

2.) Then in the early 80's there was "musical instrument auction" at a local VFW. They mailed me a program. In it was all kinds of trombones, violins etc etc. But there was one lot of 15 guitar amplifiers!!! In the lot was Magnatone 2-12, a couple small Silvertones some cheaper models, a Sam Ash 4-12 PA column and a Premier Reverb unit. I figured, if I spent $200-300 on the lot, kept the reverb and sold the rest I'd be happy. As the day went on the place was actually clearing out. By the time my lot came around there was only 10-15 people there. Unbelievably I won the lot for $65. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could barely fit everything in my car. I gave a worker the Sam Ash column just for helping pack the car. I sold the Magnatone to Angela instr for $500. the next week. And slowly sold the rest. I'm still amazed almost 25 yrs later.

3.) Finally, also in the 80's, the group I was in had a left handed guitar player. I was playing a strat and he had an Ibanez. He had hopes of finding a lefty 'surf guitar'. I remembered filling in in a country band in the 70's and the guitar player was a lefty as well. It was foggy, but I remembered either a Jag or Jazzmaster in pink of White. I tracked him down and he still had his equip. I asked if he was interested in selling the guitar. He started out by saying: "well............... (I thought I was going to hear he was holding on to it but instead....) it needs works but sure I'll sell it". (by the way it was a late 60's white Jaguar) I asked what he wanted and he said (ready) $50.!!! and that included the orig hard shell case! I delivered it to our other guitar player who gave me a $50 finders fee. After the band broke up I heard he sold it to a local guy/store for $1400. What 'ja gonna do? ttyl

B

bek

Reaction score
Got a mid-1930s Regal dobro (wood-bodied spider-bridge round-neck, poinsettia-pattern cover) in a local Christian school thrift store. It had a couple cracks on the sides and two missing tuner gears. I paid $40 for the guitar with a ratty case and $40 at a local shop to have the sides cleated and tuner gears replaced. Never heard a sweeter-sounding resonator, at any price. Fabulous v-neck; perfect. Bought it a nice new case a few years ago. If I had to choose only two guitars, it would be my '73 D25 and the Regal.

tele4tone

Reaction score
1. early echoplex EP-1... free gift from my drummers grandfather that he found in an attic of house he was painting.

2. Fender Rhodes suitcase piano... gift from my wife's uncle. The wife plays it well.

3. most important... 1965 Guild Starfire IV Spec. $300... It needed a fret job tho.

4. Fisher tube power amp..$5 sold on ebay without tubes not working for $290... and yeah I did tell the buyer it was dead.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Default said:
That's it! It's still over at my buddy's house with the Vibrolux and the Maestro. I'll retrieve it soon, to use on my first album, Lengend In My Mom's Basement, to be released sometime in 2016. :lol:

I'll be glad to drive north to lay down the bass for you. Sounds like I have 4 or 5 years to practice.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now that the internet is finally fixed @ Casa Default, you may not even need to drive. :lol:

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
My best deals so far would have to be the mid-50s Fender tweed Champ and lap steel that a friend gave me years ago for helping him do some painting. Sadly a year or so later I lent them to a "friend" and never saw them or him again. I no longer lend gear. Live and learn. :oops:

The other killer deal was more recent, and that would have to be the FREE blackface '65 Fender Princeton Reverb (some folks may remember) discussed here: http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11031&hilit=+princeton

I had to do a lot of cleaning and replace the speaker but it now lives and sounds great, and not counting my time, the bill for a speaker, a few other parts and the amp tech was $148.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well we're not going back in history for this deal...and nothing too spectacular. Last week I picked up an Eko Ranger 6 with a hard shell case, that fits my Guild D25. Cost $60. The action was way too high, and it has an adjustable bridge, its also mahogany and spruce plywood and made in Italy in the early 70s. Vox guitars at the time were made by the same company. It has a bolt on neck. I tightened the truss rod, which helped a lot. It has a soft voice but lots of pretty good tone. Took it in to have the action further adjusted, and fix to the bridge to make it a non adjustable saddle. Will have it back in a week for another $60 for the work...These are rugged guitars that tolerate almost any kind of abuse, however there is only one small mark on this, almost looks like it just came off the shelf.... :D Stefffan

workedinwesterly

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
our town dump has a 'take it or leave it' shed that has yielded some treasures.2 crappy stella-like acoustics that hang on the shop wall, a uke wall hanger, a peavey patriot bass, an alesis midi-verb. a set of infinity and cambridge soundworks speakers.

found a single pick-up silvertone with amp in case, unplayed condition ( even had the original strap ) for $10 at a yardsale.

a few years ago i i bought an Ampeg amp for $100 from a co-worker, an SB-12 portaflex....a buddy fixed the electronics for me...the most amazing amp ..even on full volume it's dead quiet.

a guy that cleans out houses for banks sold me 5 guitars for $20.
late 60's/ early 70's korean strats ( 2), a korean SG, a Korean classical ( carlos ) and a gibson sonex 180 deluxe...2 had cases.
none of them are good instruments...they look good hanging on the wall though.

back in 1980 i bought a tweed gibson GA_80 Varitone amp for $50...all original, i still got it.

In 1976 i bought a 2-year old gold top Les Paul for $265, and in 1980 bought a 1956 Martin D-18 for $600.
That was all they were worth in those days ( they were 'used' not 'vintage')....by todays standards that's practically free !