Jack Casady Starfire pictures?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
adorshki said:
dapmdave said:
Ahhhhh. You guys led me to listen to "Water Music". I haven't heard it in years, but God how good it is.
Dave :D
NOW go listen to "Spare Chaynge" on "After Bathing at Baxter's" . If you've never heard it, TRUST me on this.
Then go find a live cut of "Ballad of you and me and Pooneil" (also from "Baxter's") 'cause that's where he REALLY started doing some truly thunderous solos. :D

I will do these things.

Listening to that album was one of my first if not THE first truly psychedelic experience I ever had. And I wasn't even on anything. :D
And Jack has been my favorite bassist ever since. (1969)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
adorshki said:
dapmdave said:
Ahhhhh. You guys led me to listen to "Water Music". I haven't heard it in years, but God how good it is.
NOW go listen to "Spare Chaynge" on "After Bathing at Baxter's" . If you've never heard it, TRUST me on this.
Then go find a live cut of "Ballad of you and me and Pooneil" (also from "Baxter's") 'cause that's where he REALLY started doing some truly thunderous solos. :D

I will do these things.

OK. I'm back. I have to say, honestly, I was never a big fan of San Francisco acid rock. In the words of David Gilmour, too much "psychedelic canoodling" for my taste. Maybe I listened to the wrong versions, or something... or perhaps I'm in the wrong state of mind. :wink:

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
My quick list:

"In Time" and "Crown of Creation" from the album of the same.

The 1st Hot Tuna album.

"A Child is Coming" and "Sunrise" from Blows Against the Empire.

mikko

Reaction score
I´d like to add "Guinnevere" by C,S & N. A non-album version from 1968 with Jack on bass.

Thanks "basmansam" for the pics, especially for the 70´s Hot Tuna photo. You don´t see them too often. That last photo...any idea what year that was? Jack has kind of different style there.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
mikko said:
hat last photo...any idea what year that was? Jack has kind of different style there.

+1.

He looks older and the bass looks like a stock, post-1971 or reissue Starfire II. Picture from the 1990's?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
OK. I'm back. I have to say, honestly, I was never a big fan of San Francisco acid rock. In the words of David Gilmour, too much "psychedelic canoodling" for my taste. Maybe I listened to the wrong versions, or something... or perhaps I'm in the wrong state of mind. :wink:
Ah well...at least you can say you tried it.. :lol: I was hoping you'd like it... but it IS a different buzz than "Burgers"... :lol:
"Watersong" is great Jack showcase too, probably my second favorite. 8)

Reaction score
mikko said:
Thanks "basmansam" for the pics, especially for the 70´s Hot Tuna photo. You don´t see them too often. That last photo...any idea what year that was? Jack has kind of different style there.

That is the second of the 2 Starfires that Jack bought after the brown bass was stolen at Woodstock. I believe the photo is from the late 80's or ealy 90's.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
basmansam said:
Casady-1.jpg

thJCw72SF.jpg

So you think both pictures are of the same bass? My first impression is that they aren't. The "second" one doesn't seem to have Hagstroms, nor does the sunburst seem to have as much red, but I'm not about to argue just based on pictures.

Thanks.

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
basmansam said:

So you think both pictures are of the same bass? My first impression is that they aren't. The "second" one doesn't seem to have Hagstroms, nor does the sunburst seem to have as much red, but I'm not about to argue just based on pictures.

Thanks.

Good catch, my understanding is he bought 2 starfire basses after the brown bass was stolen and gave one to RW to customize (alembisize) and kept the other one stock. You're right , the stock bass in the last photo does not have bisonics.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
basmansam said:
thJCw72SF.jpg

Good catch, my understanding is he bought 2 starfire basses after the brown bass was stolen and gave one to RW to customize (alembisize) and kept the other one stock. You're right , the stock bass in the last photo does not have bisonics.

My understanding too. You might want to review the posts from January 2010 in the current thread since mgod is a pretty definitive source.

Speaking of which, I wonder if he might have a comment about the pic above concerning date and bass?

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Definitely not one of the sunburst pair bought in 69 -that's a 70s bass, lots of signs besides the pickups - and wasn't among his collection when he brought all his basses over in 93. My guess, based on his looks, is that he was at Norm's sometime in the 80s and Norm got him to pose with some store stock.

But you know what? I can ask.

PS - interesting profile icon there, Frono - you're looking much less poodle-esque than back in the day.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
mgod said:
Definitely not one of the sunburst pair bought in 69 -that's a 70s bass, lots of signs besides the pickups - and wasn't among his collection when he brought all his basses over in 93. My guess, based on his looks, is that he was at Norm's sometime in the 80s and Norm got him to pose with some store stock.

But you know what? I can ask.

PS - interesting profile icon there, Frono - you're looking much less poodle-esque than back in the day.
Thank you and thank you.

See here for the uncropped version. I figured the B-50 was much more appropriate.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I said:

"Sir -
My guess is Norm cajoled you into posing with one of his store pieces sometime in those fabulous 80s. With Steve Job's blessing perhaps this one will not get filtered out of the email.
DS"

He said:

"You could be right!
I have no story to go along with this shot.
Jack"

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
mgod said:
I said:

"Sir -
My guess is Norm cajoled you into posing with one of his store pieces sometime in those fabulous 80s. With Steve Job's blessing perhaps this one will not get filtered out of the email.
DS"

He said:

"You could be right!
Jack"
Thank you.

Reaction score
mgod said:
I said:

"Sir -
DS"

He said:

"You could be right!
Jack"

Thanks Dan, appreciate the info.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
mikko said:
Go to http://www.gettyimages.com, write "Casady" in the search bar and you´ll find some interesting photos.

Good stuff. For the visitor from the future, I did want to see Editorial Images and most of the pictures with Jack were in the last pages of results (pages 3, 4 and 5 of 5). I was amused to note a white JC Signature bass in use and a couple of shots where he is playing a JC signature and not wearing black.

mikko

Reaction score
More photos of Jack (and Jorma + others of course) here http://www.berensonphotography.com/. Galleries->Hot Tuna. Photos are probably from the latter half of the ´70s (?) so no actual Starfire content there. But at least Flying V style bass had Guild neck.