Jack Casady Starfire pictures?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Hi guys
Do you know if there are any decent pictures of any of jack's starfires floating around?
All of the photos I can find are generally just semi-fuzzy action/stage shots... I have never been able to locate a good picture where one of the basses is the focal point.
Also, I have heard that one of them is in the RnR hall of fame now... so there's got to be at least one picture online somewhere, right?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Hi guys
Do you know if there are any decent pictures of any of jack's starfires floating around?
All of the photos I can find are generally just semi-fuzzy action/stage shots... I have never been able to locate a good picture where one of the basses is the focal point.
Also, I have heard that one of them is in the RnR hall of fame now... so there's got to be at least one picture online somewhere, right?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny, I never asked that question. I've gotten my fix from various video clips some of which were from Fly Jefferson Airplane. Fred Hammon has a nice picture on the Dark Star home page although it has the heavily modified electronics. If I'm not mistaken he is playing either his original SF or the one that replaced it when the first one was stolen in this clip.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny, I never asked that question. I've gotten my fix from various video clips some of which were from Fly Jefferson Airplane. Fred Hammon has a nice picture on the Dark Star home page although it has the heavily modified electronics. If I'm not mistaken he is playing either his original SF or the one that replaced it when the first one was stolen in this clip.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Well it's hard to say as the dates on videos and photos get jumbled up and confusing, but he actually bought 2 new ones after his original was stolen. One of those two is in the RnR hall of fame and the other i'm not sure about.
But man, imagine walking into a pawn shop and finding his original all dirty and dusty for 100bucks or something. That's pretty much my dream right there:)

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Well it's hard to say as the dates on videos and photos get jumbled up and confusing, but he actually bought 2 new ones after his original was stolen. One of those two is in the RnR hall of fame and the other i'm not sure about.
But man, imagine walking into a pawn shop and finding his original all dirty and dusty for 100bucks or something. That's pretty much my dream right there:)

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jack has the other one, the unmodified one, at home. That's his original in the clip, definitely not 1970.

DS

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
mgod said:
Jack has the other one, the unmodified one, at home. That's his original in the clip, definitely not 1970.

DS

Dear Sir.

Which one is he playing on in the Hot Tuna section on the horrible quality dvd of "the Last Days of the Fillmore West" which i subjected my wife to tonight?

Thanks mGodly one.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I haven't seen that since it came out but I think its up on youtube. Its the second modified one, the one RW hacked into after the brown one was heisted. The other of the two he bought after Woodstock is pretty much unused and still stock. The one in that film is sitting somewhere in Cleveland and there are no really good pics of it that I know of. If it ever comes back I hope to change that.

DS

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Let's see if I have this right.

Three Starfire basses.

#1, was brown, had Alembic mods, was stolen and can be seen in several videos including Hesitation Blues.

#2 and #3 were obtained at the same time, after the theft which was after Woodstock. #2 was a 'burst with Alembic mods. It can be seen in Uncle Sam's Blues.

#3 is basically stock.

#2's and #3's location is unknown to me but presumably known to others. One of them is in Cleveland which I would guess means at the Rock & Roll Hall of fame.

Did I get that right?

Thank you.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Pretty close.

2 is @ the RnR Museum, yes, and 3 is in Jack's possession, at home.

1 didn't have Alembic mods, but it would be accurate enough to call them pre- or proto-Alembic. They were the seeds Bear planted, the ideas that would help define Alembic once it came into existence. Alembic, as defined initially by Bear, RT and RW, came together in 1969 around the M-85 that Phil gave me in 73. 1 was also not factory brown, its a refin.

DS

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
mgod said:
Pretty close.
Thank you. I realize I was being sloppy about "Alembic" and will try to use "pre-Alembic" or "proto-Alembic" next time I try and recall the story. And I also had to hedge a bit since I knew the R&R Hall of Fame was in Ohio but don't know where "home" is for Mr. Casady. With my luck, I would have said #3 wasn't in Ohio and then would have found out that he lived at the Fur Peace Ranch :)

Thanks again.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
mgod said:
I haven't seen that since it came out but I think its up on youtube. Its the second modified one, the one RW hacked into after the brown one was heisted. The other of the two he bought after Woodstock is pretty much unused and still stock. The one in that film is sitting somewhere in Cleveland and there are no really good pics of it that I know of. If it ever comes back I hope to change that.

DS

Thanks Dan.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
just stumbled upon this one today! not too close of his bass, but an awesome casady/yggdrasil photo that i've never seen before
jackcasady_300.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
basmansam said:
My first post here, I wanted to contribute some Casady photo's I have acquired over the yrs.

Casady-1.jpg

Ahuka.jpg

824425.jpg

thJCw72SF.jpg

Welcome basmansam! great shots of Jack (and Jorma). Lots of fans of both of them here. Pull up a chair. 8)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ahhhhh. You guys led me to listen to "Water Music". I haven't heard it in years, but God how good it is.

Dave :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
Ahhhhh. You guys led me to listen to "Water Music". I haven't heard it in years, but God how good it is.
NOW go listen to "Spare Chaynge" on "After Bathing at Baxter's" . If you've never heard it, TRUST me on this.
Then go find some live cuts of "Ballad of you and me and Pooneil" (also from "Baxter's") 'cause that's where he REALLY started doing some truly thunderous solos. :D

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
dapmdave said:
NOW go listen to "Spare Chaynge" on "After Bathing at Baxter's" . If you've never heard it, TRUST me on this.
Then go find a live cut of "Ballad of you and me and Pooneil" (also from "Baxter's") 'cause that's where he REALLY started doing some truly thunderous solos. :D

I will do these things.