Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JP; I am so sorry about your friend.

John

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
JP, sorry for your loss.

Cap'n, those tubes look nice! I'm SO sorry I didn't stock up when I had a chance, about ten years ago, but the thought somehow didn't come up. I knew a guy in Brussels who had a pallet of GE6L6's, and sold matched pairs at about the price of a pair of groove tubes back then.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the kind words guys. My buddy was very well-known in the local music scene. He's even had articles in the paper and local magazines featuring him as a young artist/composer to watch. What's been so difficult is that his family is being very hush hush about the everything. They're expedited the memorial services, as well as having a closed burial. It seems like they're so shamed by the incident, that his friends and the musical community's aren't getting a chance to mourn properly. It's all happening so quietly and quickly that many won't even know he's gone. :(

Sorry for the downer gang--I've derailed my own post!

Back to tubes. All I wanted to say was that I hope they eventually supplement the line with other types like the EL34s and EL84s.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Notice the auction doesn't even mention if the tube is NOS, NIB, etc...!
It might very well be used. I'd spend $100 on one of those NOS though - they'll last at least ten years if you don't throw your amps around. (and supply healthier voltages than current GZ34's, my tech tells me.)

And a problem I've been having with current production GZ34's is that they're mechanically not too great - they'll rattle after a couple of months!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter Broes said:
I'd spend $100 on one of those NOS though - they'll last at least ten years if you don't throw your amps around. (and supply healthier voltages than current GZ34's, my tech tells me.)
Huh, how much voltage drop do you get new vs. old, I wonder. If it wasn't for the rattling part, that would possibly be a way to drop voltages back to design specs.
Wall voltage has been creeping up in the States in the past few decades.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hadn't looked at it from that side yet...hmmm....

I'll ask my tech next time I talk to him. If you don't move the amp around much, the rattling part will probably be fine.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Prices like that push the top of the market up taking every vintage tube w/ them. As long as no one has anything good to say about current production EH / JJ / Ruby and the rest of them, the pressure gets put on the price of older stuff. Two months ago a matched pair of NOS Bendix Red Bank 6V6s went for $392.

Invest in stocks? I don't think so ... invest in tubes ... :(

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
On a brighter note, I found two RC 12AX7 in an old, non-working (and not about to be resurrected..) tape recorder yesterday.
I put them in V1 and V2 of the Super Amp, turned up the volume all the way, and they refused to even amplify some gentle tapping with a pencil on the tube, so I'm assuming they're still good - they're not microphonic at all in any case.

They're currently residing in my new reverb unit, along with a philips 12AT7. :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
... I found two RC 12AX7 in an old, non-working (and nto about to be resurrected..) tape recorder yesterday.
Nice find! Any chance they are the fabled black plates? Ribbed grey-plates not too shabby either.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Walter: not suggesting you buy but this is a listing of what's currently on eBay for RCAs. eBay listings of RCA 12AX7s You might some that are similar to yours. Italy you say ... very stylish! :wink: CJ

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Haha Gucci tubes!

That link only helped to point out I know nothing about tubes.

I popped one in the scanner :

RCA12AX7N3.jpg

RCA12AX7N2.jpg

RCA12AX7N1.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I'm learning too ... There is probably a tube tester in my future. I'm less concerned about matched halves of pre-amp tubes than I am about matched 6V6s. My amps are all cathode-biased; no individual adjusting pots. It's one thing for a seller to say an amp sounds good; a purely subjective opinion but tubes are either electrically matched or not and matched 6V6s sell at a premium over unmatched ones; there's no way to keep the seller honest without hauling the tubes somewhere to get them tested. I also have a growing collection of 'pulls' that I know nothing about. :oops: