New Mullard Tubes?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I might get a tube tester too if I run into something cheap - I can totally see your motives for it with the 6V6's, and the "pulls". I'm pulling tubes left and right these days too - if I can get get lucky with "free" second hand tubes that last longer than a lot of current production "new" ones...why not!!
And my current " turn up the amp, tap them with a pencil and take the plunge" method for testing preamp tubes isn't very scientific of course...ahem.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well ... it's perfectly good way to test for microphonics; a characteristic that won't be detected by a tube tester anyway ... and there's nothing wrong with 'cast off' tubes ... there's a reason why there are so many used RCAs, GEs, Sylvanias, Amperex 'Bugle Boys', Brimars out there ... they still work well!

Reaction score
If you fellas ever get to looking for a trusted source for NOS tubes, check out Terry Kilgore. He is the lead guitar player for David Lee Roth and is Eddie Van Halens guitar/amp tech. He sent me, I don't remember the brand, 7189's to replace the GT's EL84's in my V30 head. Enormous head room like he said and he didn't charge me has much as other suppliers quoted, including shipping. I'll get ya his e-mail address if your interested, he responds quickly.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi A/B: I'm ok for now but thanks for mentioning a reliable source; you did well finding 7189s ... they are used in several Magnatone designs particularly the popular M10A. CJ

Reaction score
Glad to help CJ. I'll never understand St. Louis Music. For one brief period they made these killer Crate V-series tube amps with Tone Tubby speakers, sold then at affordable prices and then stopped making them that way (my friend at Guitar Guys in Heath, Ohio said they probably lost money making them that way). I have the V30 head (with the 7189's now) and 2x12 cab with Tone Tubby's and the V30 combo with a single 12 Tone Tubby. Hopefully, when I get ready to re-tube the combo, I'll be able to grab more 7189's. I can't believe the difference they made in the tone.