Jingle Jangle ... Rickenbacker 360-12 In The House

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Nigel Wickwire said:
..Anyway, long story short I switched the strings and I am able to get the sound I was looking for. Enjoy the Ric........
Thanks Nigel, gonna try hard as I can! CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
FNG said:
... this guy has some nice Rick covers.... plus a serious man cave setup!!
Hey 'Effin: we'd do just as well if we a had a diferent guitar for every song we played well too ... GAS rationale? I saved the URLs, he does pretty well ... I get the sense he hasn't given up his day job though. CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jack FFR1846 said:
I've recently seen a number of 6 string 360's around New England ... but if they take the nose dive in prices that I've seen Fenders take ...
Hi Jack; the only comment I have about the Rickenbacker 12-string market is that they have a fairly long, flattish depreciation curve; not giving up too much in the early years and staying above $1,000 for 25 or so years ... similar to the venerable D60. At that point, they start to go back up again in price and, if anyone's interested, Chicago Music Exchange doesn't put prices on the older models they list.

Unlike Gibson and Fender, Rickenbacker meters the new ones out onesie-twosie ... I understand they have a waiting list for new ones that's over a year or so. I'm not too concerned with depreciation anyway; if I take a ding for a buck or two, so be it. WTF: if someone had said I could rent a 360-12 for, say, $350 a year, I'd a jumped at it so taking minor hit on the sell side isn't that big a deal to me; it's what I would have paid if I could have rented it anyway. Cheers! CJ

marcellis

Reaction score
Love the headstock Capn Juan.

Like the Maple body too.

I'm just glad my fingers don't have to grapple with that neck
and those 12 strings.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
marcellis said:
I'm just glad my fingers don't have to grapple with that neck and those 12 strings.
Thanks Marc ... it's the nature of 12-players in general, not happy unless confronted with a challenge ... Killer D-60! CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Michael: thanks for the fist-bump and the point to the vid. Link below is a sort of rare live recording of the Bs doing three of their biggies. Guest appearance by Ilia Kuriakin ... don't forget your bell-bottoms ... :wink: John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWlth2csLNw

guildzilla

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party, Juan, but the Rick is gorgeous. Didn't expect you to get it until Monday or Tuesday, but you wrecked my reckoning with the overnight option.

Missed the thread until you pointed me toward it today. I just never check under Other Gear. Guild bias to a fault, I guess.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
S'ok GZ and thank you; it's a sweet one! ... and I think default is right about UPS; paying the premium for last on / first off handling cuts the shipping risk. CJ

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Very nice, John. You'll enjoy her once you get used to the string setup.

Had a really nice '80 620-12 for a while. Still miss her. :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Jane. Yes, the neck will be a challenge; but OTOH ... literally ... messing with the right hand, early experiments indicate some facility with a flat and two finger picks in the right hand ... starting to get something resembling McGuinn's scratchety scratchey thing going. I have a compressor coming; seller says further strengthens the signature tone. I hope I get as much out of mine as you did out of yours. I wish I knew what to tell you about your BB; I have no idea about what makes that market tick. Very best, John

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey capn,
Just got back from vacation and saw that gorgeous Rickenbacker! Very very nice! Nothing sounds like a Rick. I've always hoped to snag a 620-12 some day as well as the impossibly rare 4005 bass. Enjoy!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks JP: just now back from the land of the Mouse (Orlando); this weekend the Rick and the compressor get a chance to show their stuff I'm beginning to understand that the Rick basses have a highly regarded reputation. If I only knew how to play one ... :( :wink: J

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
the Rick basses have a highly regarded reputation. If I only knew how to play one

Knowing how never stopped me. I always associate Rick basses with Chris Squire and Yes and "Roundabout" in particular. And then there was Starr Stowe who was centerfold in the February 1978 issue of Playboy magazine, holding an Azureglo 4001 owned by Gene Simmons. I remember the bass in question was blue :oops:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I remember the bass in question was blue :oops:
... well ... you're probably the exception then because I'd guess most of this crowd bought and read the mag for the articles ... :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
First one I can remember seeing was played by Peter Quaife in the Kinks.
Peter Quaife and his Rickenbacker bass, undated photo ... you are the man Coastie!

kinksric.jpg

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
capnjuan said:
the Rick basses have a highly regarded reputation. If I only knew how to play one

Knowing how never stopped me. I always associate Rick basses with Chris Squire and Yes and "Roundabout" in particular. And then there was Starr Stowe who was centerfold in the February 1978 issue of Playboy magazine, holding an Azureglo 4001 owned by Gene Simmons. I remember the bass in question was blue :oops:
To me after the P-Bass, the Rickenbacker bass is probably the most iconic rock bass. It's got such a huge sound and tons of sustain. I've always associated them with Geddy Lee from Rush, Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, and , of course Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister! He even has an action figure with the Rick 4001 immortalized in ABS.

lemmybanner8a.jpg