Jack Casady playing a Starfire with Jimi Hendrix

mellowgerman

Reaction score
i've seen a js like that on ebay, very interesting. i guess very early on though they did make a couple with the hagstroms.
http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/guild70p7.php
i bought mine with the darkstars already installed. however, i have a bass with a guild humbucker and have played a starfire with the guild humbuckers, and i will tell you that the darkstars improve the sound by 999999%! I would definitely recommend getting some for your JS. I can get mine to sound almost exactly like jack casady's bass (give or take a bit since he did have two alembic superfilters onboard haha) but it's damn close and definitely worth the $300 or so that a set of darkstars costs
-Ingo

mellowgerman

Reaction score
i've seen a js like that on ebay, very interesting. i guess very early on though they did make a couple with the hagstroms.
http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/guild70p7.php
i bought mine with the darkstars already installed. however, i have a bass with a guild humbucker and have played a starfire with the guild humbuckers, and i will tell you that the darkstars improve the sound by 999999%! I would definitely recommend getting some for your JS. I can get mine to sound almost exactly like jack casady's bass (give or take a bit since he did have two alembic superfilters onboard haha) but it's damn close and definitely worth the $300 or so that a set of darkstars costs
-Ingo

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I knew Casady had played and recorded with Hendrix but it was always one of those things that was not well documented. My limited research led me to places that tried to explain things by saying that Casady playing and being credited violated his record company contract.

So if we postulate a fantasy power trio of Jimi and Jack, who should the drummer be? :)

Simon Phillips.

Yeah, I know he'd be too young, but this is a fantasy trio !

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I knew Casady had played and recorded with Hendrix but it was always one of those things that was not well documented. My limited research led me to places that tried to explain things by saying that Casady playing and being credited violated his record company contract.

So if we postulate a fantasy power trio of Jimi and Jack, who should the drummer be? :)

Simon Phillips.

Yeah, I know he'd be too young, but this is a fantasy trio !

mellowgerman

Reaction score
fronobulax said:

mike shrieve!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
fronobulax said:

mike shrieve!

bassman10096

Reaction score
i have a bass with a guild humbucker and have played a starfire with the guild humbuckers, and i will tell you that the darkstars improve the sound by 999999%!
I've owned several Dark Starred basses and love the sound. I just received an early 70s M-85, with the thought that I might like to DS it. Wow - the bass itself sounds very warm and woody - like very solid, aged piece of mahogany it is - but those humbuckers have got to go. Roll off the treble and you lose all definition, cut the bass and they become relatively unmusical. Dark Stars are definitely in this bass's future. :mrgreen:

bassman10096

Reaction score
i have a bass with a guild humbucker and have played a starfire with the guild humbuckers, and i will tell you that the darkstars improve the sound by 999999%!
I've owned several Dark Starred basses and love the sound. I just received an early 70s M-85, with the thought that I might like to DS it. Wow - the bass itself sounds very warm and woody - like very solid, aged piece of mahogany it is - but those humbuckers have got to go. Roll off the treble and you lose all definition, cut the bass and they become relatively unmusical. Dark Stars are definitely in this bass's future. :mrgreen:

mikko

Reaction score
mellowgerman said:
mike shrieve!

That´s an excellent choice. My vote goes for Mike too. BTW, according to book "Got a revolution!" by Jeff Tamarkin, Mike Shrieve was asked to replace Spencer Dryden in Jefferson Airplane in -68. Shrieve chose Santana instead.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
hieronymous said:
There's at least a couple of performances - he's playing bass on the "live" version of "Voodoo Chile" on Electric Ladyland (Steve Winwood is on organ too!), and there's a live performance - maybe called Live at Winterland? - where he jams with them on an instrumental "Sunshine of Your Love," with a crazy distorted bass sound and solo, if I remember correctly.
EDIT: I think I was wrong - it's Noel Redding on "Sunshine of Your Love" - Jack Casady joins in on "Killing Floor."
HI Hieronymous: Wikipedia credits Jack with the bass on "Killing Floor" here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Winterland
And here's another rare one:
http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/music/dag ... d-coliseum
While I don't have this particular CD (yet), I can vouch for another Dagger Record: "Paris '67/San Francisco '68" Absolutely great stuff from a time when they were still fresh and having fun, and Noel and Mitch were even still singing backup vocals!

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
danerectal said:
fronobulax said:
I head the same about Clapton/Harrison before Layla did its trick. :roll:

On Cream's last record (appropriately titled "Goodbye"), the radio-play single was the song "Badge", co-written by Clapton & Harrison. Harrison played on the recording, but the album cover listed a guitarist named "Angelo Mysterioso".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
danerectal said:
fronobulax said:
I head the same about Clapton/Harrison before Layla did its trick. :roll:

On Cream's last record (appropriately titled "Goodbye"), the radio-play single was the song "Badge", co-written by Clapton & Harrison. Harrison played on the recording, but the album cover listed a guitarist named "Angelo Mysterioso".
"L'Angelo" Mysterioso, to be exact (THE mysterious Angel). I remember thinking to myself "gosh that sounds like George" one night when it was about a year old and going over the jacket and seeing that...and thinking "Yep, THAT'S a giveaway! :lol: " The "prequel" to the legend is that this was George's return of a favor for Clapton's lead on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". And yes, very common in those days for folks to play uncredited on other's records due to contract/royalty conflicts. Especially when you got guys of the royalty value of THOSE two...

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
I remember thinking to myself "gosh that sounds like George"

Yes, the first few bars of the instrumental are definitely Harrisonesque. Good interplay between the 2 guitars, but it's Jack Bruce's bass work that makes that song memorable for me :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
adorshki said:
Yes, the first few bars of the instrumental are definitely Harrisonesque. Good interplay between the 2 guitars, but it's Jack Bruce's bass work that makes that song memorable for me :D
YEah, I'm tryying to remember why I recognized, I think it was because musically and sonically the bridge actually resembles "Here Comes the Sun" , whichc was already on the radio by that time.
Veering far afield but in the spirit of reviewing other "Connections": Felix Pappalardi as "producer" (also for Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire), and mellotron on "What A Bringdown" I think he's also undoubtedly the keyboards on "Doing That Scrapyard Thing" but Wiki missed that one..

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
Ross said:
adorshki said:
YEah, I'm tryying to remember why I recognized, I think it was because musically and sonically the bridge actually resembles "Here Comes the Sun" , whichc was already on the radio by that time.
Veering far afield but in the spirit of reviewing other "Connections": Felix Pappalardi as "producer" (also for Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire), and mellotron on "What A Bringdown" I think he's also undoubtedly the keyboards on "Doing That Scrapyard Thing" but Wiki missed that one..

I'll definitely dig through the vinyl pile tonight and play "Goodbye" :D

Hangman

Reaction score
Hello.
yes, he played his Starfire on those sessions.

hieronymous said:
Nice!!! I wonder if Jack is playing his own bass on "Voodoo Chile" from Electric Ladyland?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hangman said:
Hello.
yes, he played his Starfire on those sessions.

hieronymous said:
Nice!!! I wonder if Jack is playing his own bass on "Voodoo Chile" from Electric Ladyland?

Welcome.

You speak with authority :wink:

Current or Guild owner? Any stories to share?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very interesting interview with Jack here. Focuses on the work with Hendrix.

V: Do you remember which bass you were playing that night?

C: It was a Guild Starfire bass that I had customized with the guys over at Alembic. Ron Wickersham and Owsley Stanley helped me put in the...