M-85 conversion and Bass bridge reproduction

doc4string

Reaction score
I'm converting a beater Guild M-75 body to an M-85 bass and I need one of the old harp-shaped bridges. I got one on loan from shadowcastaz here and gave it to my machinist for an estimate for a recreation. Would anyone else be interested in one here in the forum? If I could order 2 - 3 of them, he can bring the cost down to a more reasonable level.

Just chime in here and let me know. Don said it would be OK to propose this idea in the forum here.

Here's the link to my posting in the Tech forum about the conversion:

http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8381&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Here's the bridge model I'll be recreating:

55U-3775_body-front.jpg

doc4string

Reaction score
OK, my machinist tells me he can make 3 of these bridges for $150 each. I'd like one, but I'd need 2 other folks to join in. I've done projects like this before and have a good track record and references. So, please let me know if you're interested.

Just to build one would cost $400.

Bill

gilded

Reaction score
Doc, those bridges show up on eBay, between $50 and a $100, with some regularity........

doc4string

Reaction score
gilded said:
Doc, those bridges show up on eBay, between $50 and a $100, with some regularity........

Never when I want one though! I did have a guy make me one that is on its way in the mail and we did it as a trade. I got him some Ric parts he couldn't get in Europe. It was a sweet deal but he doesn't have time to build any more of them right now. I wanted a second one for another project, but one hasn't come up for quite a while.

Oh well, patience is a virtue I'll have to work on!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
doc4string said:
gilded said:

Never when I want one though! I did have a guy make me one that is on its way in the mail and we did it as a trade. I got him some Ric parts he couldn't get in Europe. It was a sweet deal but he doesn't have time to build any more of them right now. I wanted a second one for another project, but one hasn't come up for quite a while.

Oh well, patience is a virtue I'll have to work on!

Marko? He was a guy posting on one of the old Dude Pit iterations who was a teacher but made basses and parts on the side. Interesting stuff.

doc4string

Reaction score
[/quote]

Marko? He was a guy posting on one of the old Dude Pit iterations who was a teacher but made basses and parts on the side. Interesting stuff.[/quote]

Yeah, he made it for me. He said it would be the last one for awhile because he was so busy with other projects. I can't blame him. I've got 6 basses in the shop right now waiting for my attention! It turned out pretty nice. I've already taken it in for chrome plating. I'd still like another one sometime.

100_1526.jpg

Reaction score
I always enjoyed Marko's posts over at DP. One that really stands out for me had to do with this wooden jig that he fabricated and hooked up to a shop-vac, upon which he laid a piece of blank pickguard material. Into the kitchen oven it went, and out came vacuum-molded Gibson Triumph-style pickup covers. They looked great! That's just kooky enough to be considered genius in my book.

His harp bridge is wonderful. Mine mounts on a big hunk of brass that is recessed into the body. Changed the timbre of the bass in a desirable way (to me), and also enabled me to set the action much lower - thus avoiding a seemingly imminent neck reset (and preventing me from setting an unwanted record for most expensive JS-II in modern history :) ).

doc4string

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using the small typical Guild type plate under mine. It should be fine.