Silly question... Why 'Franz' pickups

gusto

Reaction score
is there a pup manufacturer that makes a franz replica? there really kind of unknown to the regular crowd, i wonder who could make a replica.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
gusto said:
is there a pup manufacturer that makes a franz replica?
So far, no. I think the demand is extremely limited, tooling up for an exact replica wouldn't exactly be a lucrative affair IMO.

telegeir

Reaction score
I am sure that any of the custom pickup builder could make one, if they only had a few sample originals to pick apart and learn from. Apart from the assumed magic of a vintage pickup it is really about magnet size and material, the shape of the coil, the thickness of the wire and number of windings and so on. Of course, no two pickups sound exactly alike, especially vintage ones where more "hand made" stuff was involved. (Though as pickup guru Bill Lawrence observed: No pickup is entirely handmade, simply because no one in their right mind would sit and wind thousands of windings of copper wire by hand.)

Anyway, as Walter says: The demand is probably way too limited.

Geir :)

bieke

Reaction score
caveman said:
bieke (are you the Belgian guy from the Harmony Central Effects- forum ? )

yes that would be me
come to think of it, are you caveman on Harmony Central ?
small world isn't it ?

MichaelK

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any connection to Franz Manufacturing of New Haven CT., who made the metronomes. But there's no connection to them or to EMT that I can find anywhere.