Reaction score
Just found this one today, Graham.

Too bad you missed it. :(

bass.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was young, I thought nothing of lugging around a Peavey with 200+ watts into 2x15. 35 and 110 lbs. respectively. The speaker cabinet wasn't that much bigger than my tuba in a hard case although I never owned a car that could carry them both at the same time.

Then I started having back troubles and bought a 1x15 cabinet (45 lbs.) so I didn't have to lug so much unless I needed it. And 3x15 in two cabinets was pretty cool.

Now I play through Mrs. Fro's Fender Princeton (1x10 or 12, I forget, but 25 lbs which I don't forget) and wonder if I'll ever have the energy to hook everything up, confirm it still works, sell it and hope I never play with a drummer again :?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham said:
So any good Bass forums around for a 16 year old to learn some stuff?

You're asking the wrong crowd because we know it all.

I was self taught but already had a pretty good grounding in music fundamentals before I picked up a bass. I haven't found anything really useful on the internet but that says more about me than the internet. The worst case is that your friend could post here. He'll get opinions but when we knuckle down they will be useful, well thought out opinions.

That said, I would caution that there are two ways to approach bass and they are sometimes incompatible. One is that of a string bass player - single note, root of the chord, walking lines but not necessarily melodic, fingers - and the other is that of a guitar player - occasional double stops (chords), riffs, very rhythmic, picks. They can be complementary and the best players transcend the distinction but when learning you can get what seems like contradictory advice by mixing and matching.

gilded

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Graham said:
So any good Bass forums around for a 16 year old to learn some stuff?

That said, I would caution that there are two ways to approach bass and they are sometimes incompatible. One is that of a string bass player - single note, root of the chord, walking lines but not necessarily melodic, fingers - and the other is that of a guitar player - occasional double stops (chords), riffs, very rhythmic, picks. They can be complementary and the best players transcend the distinction but when learning you can get what seems like contradictory advice by mixing and matching.

Frono', old chum, that's described as good as I've ever read it. Mil gracias.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham said:
Bass players are weird. :shock:

This is news? And you're going to encourage a 16 year old to play bass?

I did a Google search on "bass guitar lessons" and got several sites that looked reasonable in the first page. http://www.activemusician.com/Online-Ba ... ons--t12i9 was one that looked like it could be helpful at least after 5 minutes of spot checking.

I'll say, if this kid is your friend then you should offer to play with him. Even if he is doing nothing but playing the root of the chord in a rhythm that complements your strumming, he'll start to learn useful life lessons about playing music with other people.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hang out here a lot when I've finished reading all the new posts on LTG.

There's bassists from 16 to 60, and from all over the world! I don't know that he would actually learn much about playing the bass there though. (Here's a great thread about farting during a show! Some of the stories are hilarious!)

Here's an instructional site I visit.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Graham said:
Thanks for everything there guys, I'm taking delivery of this from Brother Jeff.

I think the kid will get a charge out of it, if not I'll give it a go. :mrgreen:

Does he need a specific amp? The only thing I have kicking around here is a Roland cube 30 and an older Crate 15.

Graham,

Check your email, Bass is on it's way, .. insured for big bucks.

125114.jpg
125113.jpg

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Graham said:
Thanks for everything there guys, I'm taking delivery of this from Brother Jeff.

I think the kid will get a charge out of it, if not I'll give it a go. :mrgreen:

Does he need a specific amp? The only thing I have kicking around here is a Roland cube 30 and an older Crate 15.

Graham,

Check your email, Bass is on it's way, .. insured for big bucks.

125114.jpg
125113.jpg

Is that one of your man servants you've told me about Jeff? Or is that the guy that just carries your wallet? :wink:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Picked up the Guild Pilot Bass this morning in Buffalo. Excellent package job by Jeff, funny as hell too. Jeff had it sent to a friend of his wifes because he was being hassled by USPS for shipping and they wanted almost $240 to send it to the far North. So he Fedexed it to Buffalo for like $50.

Packed in a big brown box, fine. I opened it in the guys driveway so that I didn't have to declare it coming back. Inside the box, another "box" made out of blue rigid Styrofoam, nicely cut and glued and taped together. fedex could have dribbled this thing from Seattle and would have been fine. :lol: Great job Jeff.

Anyway, this is a way kewl guitar. I think the kid is going to like it, if not I might just keep it. Bass players may be weird and dress funny but their gear is real neat. 8)

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
cjd-player said:
Graham said:
Bass players may be weird and dress funny but their gear is real neat. 8)

I don't think this comes in your color, Graham. :(

Gingerreyes.jpg

I'm beginning to appreciate bass players :twisted: As as for the farting link - I'm beginning to think I'm a bass player in spirit even if I only play 6 string :mrgreen:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
So Graham, what does your friend think of bass in general and the Pilot in particular? Feel free to express your own opinion of the Pilot as well, although I know you have never needed permission to express an opinion 8)

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
First impressions from him were a gaping mouth. I really don't think he expected what was in the case, and just so happens that red is his favourite colour. That does matter to a kid.

I tuned it up for him, showed him how to do it himself, plugged in the little Crate amp that I brought and let him pluck away. The guitar just thumps. His mom shot me a worried look.

I have not spoken to him in the last couple of weeks and I know he is on exams this week so play time might have been limited, but I'll see them in the next week or so and ask how he's doing with it.

Personally I think it's a very kewl guitar and something I might like to play with in the future.