'72 JS I

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
See this JS I on eBay. Note the holes in the top/front of the body near where the bridge PU would be. Did a JS I come from the factory with one of those chrome covers like the one that everyone took off of a Gibson EB-0 and some Fenders or did some misguided soul add something like that (which has since been removed)?

I know not to extrapolate too much from a JS II to a JS I. Note the different headstock logo treatment on the sample above which is "factory".

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
gilded said:
My money is on added holes!

Hey gilded,

Better not make that bet!

JS1_jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

gilded

Reaction score
I only bet 25 cents!!

You got the cover in your 'Citizen Kane' sized warehouse of parts??

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow Hans, you amaze me every time!

Is that a fretless in your picture?

Do you know any more about the string cover?

swamp2

Reaction score
My JS-1 has no such holes, IIRC it's a '73. Mine also has the chesterfield inlaid headstock, and much different tuners. Far as I know, it's all original.

swamp2

Reaction score
swamp2 said:
My JS-1 has no such holes, IIRC it's a '73. Mine also has the chesterfield inlaid headstock, and much different tuners. Far as I know, it's all original.

Here's a pic...
js1.jpg

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting... There was a '71 JS-I at Rumble Seat Music last year that I was tempted by - I didn't realize it at the time, but looking at the pics they sent me, it also had holes for the cover. It's long gone now...

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
swamp2 said:

Hello swamp2,

I would not be surprised if the later ones didn't have the string cover. I guess they figured out that it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

danerectal

Reaction score
swamp2 said:
swamp2 said:

Here's a pic...
js1.jpg
I just noticed that you have what appears to be a "bridge" humbucker as discussed earlier. I wonder what the time frame was in which that occurred or if maybe it was another "use what we've got" type thing.
http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7325

swamp2

Reaction score
danerectal said:
I just noticed that you have what appears to be a "bridge" humbucker as discussed earlier. I wonder what the time frame was in which that occurred or if maybe it was another "use what we've got" type thing.

Hmmm... I'd never noticed that before. About all I can say is - it's always been that way since I've had it. It was my first bass, bought used in '74 or '75 for a whopping $100.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
swamp2 said:

FWIW, there seem to be several variations on JS I's that are all factory as far as I know. There is the JS I that looks like a JS II minus a PU and set of controls. That seems to be what you have. There is the JS I with the string cover. Then there is the JS I that does not have the "Chesterfield" headstock and has the angled "Guild" done in something that gives the letters a yellow-brown color. Not specific to the JS I but there seem to be a couple variations on tuners as well. I forget the brands but the obvious difference is whether the backs are open - gears exposed - or closed - gears hidden. And, now that I understand that it is not trivial to 'flip" the neck pickup, there seem to be examples where a JS II bridge PU was installed as the neck, and only, JS I PU.

Sounds like an awful lot of variations to me. Good thing Grot is not trying to collect them all.

swamp2

Reaction score
FWIW, there seem to be several variations on JS I's that are all factory as far as I know. There is the JS I that looks like a JS II minus a PU and set of controls. That seems to be what you have. There is the JS I with the string cover. Then there is the JS I that does not have the "Chesterfield" headstock and has the angled "Guild" done in something that gives the letters a yellow-brown color. Not specific to the JS I but there seem to be a couple variations on tuners as well. I forget the brands but the obvious difference is whether the backs are open - gears exposed - or closed - gears hidden. And, now that I understand that it is not trivial to 'flip" the neck pickup, there seem to be examples where a JS II bridge PU was installed as the neck, and only, JS I PU.

Sounds like an awful lot of variations to me. Good thing Grot is not trying to collect them all.
Mine has the open tuners. I don't think there's any markings on them that indicate the brand.

Re: the bridge vs neck pickups - I read the earlier referenced thread where it's suggested they're the same other than the ears. I'll just say this - the tone in the "deep" (up) position is HUGE - I play through a 1x15 combo amp w/ a graphic eq in church. I have to run the 2 low bands all the way down, turn the global "low" frequency control all the way down - and it's still too thumpy! Fattest bass tone ever... I end up having to use the "hard" setting.

I don't think they could get away with advertising a "deep-hard" capability in today's politically correct times...

deep_hard.jpg