New guy needs Guild Starfire Help

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
shadowcastaz said:
I can only assume the one here is maple . I have not had the time or the stones to try the green on mahog yet. Im still sweating the red pigment too. I may go yellow , then a light green and try to keep it lighter. The mahog is real nice except where I have to patch. I could always paint it black if I screw it up!!!(NNNNNOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo................)

I see a red Guild and I want it painted black. No colors anymore I want them to turn black

Sorry Mick and/or Keith.

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
Man I love this place. I may grow some stones this weekend and get out the dye :mrgreen:

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
My dreams were all in green last nigh! WTF,I need to talk to someone.............

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful bass Fropa. What a great score!

shadowcastaz said:
That is beautiful!!! Im restoring a 1967 SII and I want to do it in green. I have stripped about 12 - 16 oz of red paint off this bad girl and I believe the previous owner used red paint to fill in the over sanded edges. Im at a point where I have all the pieces and I have to start replacing the sanded thru mahog veneer. Its the ultimate jigsaw puzzle.
The green is pretty rare from what Ive heard. I just like the green look . Burst is ok and there are too many red ones in the world. Yours looks like maple so Im having to test the green on mahog.
Thanx for posting , Im re-inspired.M
Hey shadow,
Howsabout a vintage green sunburst?
custom335_green.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for the information and nice comments about my bass. fronobulax was exactly right, the serial number on the back of the headstock is 895, so an early '67 bass. I can't believe I've had this bass all these years and never noticed the numbers there. Nice set of pictures of the Starfires on your site fronobulax. The back of mine does have some buckle rash and the neck has some wood showing in the center from thumb slide wear. I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams parting out my bass. Your '67 looks great.

Very nice '66 Grot. Placement of the rests makes a definite difference in the look.

I'm looking forward to seeing your bass as it progresses shadowcastaz. Looks like a fun project. I would say go for the green and see what happens.

I really appreciate all the all the help and welcomes.

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
You know I saw a thread that went to a wood working site and someone did a yellow to green burst on a piece of tiger maple that was very cool and different . As much as I like orig stuff,sometimes you just cant get the damn parts ( at a reasonable Cost)so a anodized orange tuners on a lime green burst is ok on a '59 lespaul ... I guess! :mrgreen: