Early JS-I

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
At eBay.

Got a lot of miles on it but it's a sunburst and appears to have the Bi-sonic pickup. Seller dates it to '71 which seems about right to me. Pretty early, regardless.

gilded

Reaction score
frono',

I saw that bass and emailed the seller to see if there was a Buy it Now option. Seller says he, 'usually lets the auctions play to the end unless somebody makes him an offer he can't refuse.'

In that 2 out of 3 of his completed auctions had 'Buy it Now endings', what he's really saying is he has no idea what it's worth, so he's going to let the auction run unless and until somebody offers him something really stupid.

I'd like the Hagstrom pickup more than the bass, so I don't know that I'll be the stupid one, at least this time. I dunno, what do you think it's worth?

Harry

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seems to me Dark Stars are $200-250 before installation. I'd guess an original Bi-sonic would be about the same. That particular bass is hard to guess, though. I've never seen a sunburst on a JS body and it almost has to be one of the earlier JS basses. This suggests the collector and player values may be far apart. I've seen a JS I with Guild humbucker that languished at $700-$800 but this is collectible enough that it might command that kind of money.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
If I remember right the last bi-sonic that sold on ebay went for $300. I recently bought a JSII with one bi-sonic and one of the small hasgtrom pups. Turned out they were both the original even though the seller thought otherwise, Mine was missing original knobs, pup ring for small hagstrom, it also had a neck reset and is beat up, although is doesn't have paint or a sticker on it, nor the large portions of missing paint. I paid $350 on a bin. My guess would be that this one goes for over $450, but hey I don't know :roll: . You don't see enought of these sell to get a good guess.