tuners for vintage 12?

Mikeoso

Reaction score
a couple of the tuners on my '72 F212XL are starting to lose a little precision. if I wanted to replace them, where do I go and what do I order? I don't necessarily need authenticity, but I want quality machines.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, I wish I could help, Mike. Right now I have no complaint with the Grovers on my Guilds but someday I may be in the same situation. It sure would be nice to find quality machines that would be a perfect fit. Maybe someone like Hans Moust or Carlo Greco could help with info and/or hardware. Please let us know what you wind up doing.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mikeoso said:
a couple of the tuners on my '72 F212XL are starting to lose a little precision. if I wanted to replace them, where do I go and what do I order? I don't necessarily need authenticity, but I want quality machines.

Hello Mike,

Not sure what is on your guitar right now but I assume they are the 6-on-a-plate tuners that you will find on pretty much all of the mid-line 12-strings from that period.
If authenticity is not a priority I would suggest mounting a set of Schaller M-6 Mini machines.
These tuners became standard on the F-212XL around 1976, so you're not that far off.
The only thing is that the Schaller tuners need a 10 mm hole in the headstock, so you might want somebody with the proper tools do the job for you.

Ask Don ( dklsplace , our host) if he has them in stock. If not he can probably order them for you.
You will need two sets of 3 left/ 3 right.

If Don can't help you, just get back here and I'll tell you where you can get them.

Good luck!

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
1967 F 212 tuners

Hello Mike,

Not sure what is on your guitar right now but I assume they are the 6-on-a-plate tuners that you will find on pretty much all of the mid-line 12-strings from that period.
If authenticity is not a priority I would suggest mounting a set of Schaller M-6 Mini machines.
These tuners became standard on the F-212XL around 1976, so you're not that far off.
The only thing is that the Schaller tuners need a 10 mm hole in the headstock, so you might want somebody with the proper tools do the job for you.

Ask Don ( dklsplace , our host) if he has them in stock. If not he can probably order them for you.
You will need two sets of 3 left/ 3 right.

If Don can't help you, just get back here and I'll tell you where you can get them.

Good luck!

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hope to restart this thread. I am looking for replacement tuners for a 1967 Guild F 212 (12 string). Any suggestions? The guitar is in great shape acoustically and solid as a rock. (Hans - I see on your web site that you cant return emails to comcast.net in USA - but I will send you a test message in case it comes through)

Reaction score
I’m looking for this same thing! I’ve got a 73 212 needing replacement tuners. 6 on a plate, open back. I don’t want to put mini closed machines on it or bore out the holes.
Who has a source for replacements?