D'A tailpiece/JS-II pups

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Spring cleaning time. Before i go and try to sell these online, any Guilders in need of

- a D'A Starfire tailpiece. Thought I'd try it on my JS-II but it would have required drilling new holes. (duh...)

- original JS-II pickups. (Not the Hastroms). I replaced these with Darkstars. I was thinking I'd keep them in case I ever wanted to do the reverse restoration. Maybe I should - when i sold my D'A Starfire with Darkstars, a couple of potential buyers asked if i still had the originals cause they wanted to put them back in and use the Darkstars elsewhere. But I don't figger on selling the JS anytime soon. The neck is just too sweet!!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Were you also Happy Face on one of the iterations of The Dude Pit?

How's the sound of a JS with Dark Stars? I keep thinking that if I did *something* to my JS, I'd like the sound more.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Good to "see" you again, Fronobulax. Yes, I am your smiling friend from the Pit.

The JS-II sounds good with Darkstars. But I cannot compare it with the stock pickup sound. I bot the bass with the intention of D-starring it. When i got it the strings & action were so bad it was pretty much unplayable so I really didn't get a sound fixed in my ear.

Right now I have chromes (flats) on it, to slot it between a Darkstarred EB-3 with Jazz Flats and a Ricky. But it sounds better with the Jazz flats. I can get a couple of distinct sounds out of it so I'm happy with it. No thunderous boomy sound, but it fits well into the mix.

I'm in a cover band. The JS sounds good for some songs, the Ricky suits others so I switch back and forth.

That wasn't all that helpful, was it? Too bad you are not closer so you could give it a whirl and listen for yourself.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Face said:
That wasn't all that helpful, was it?

Actually it was kind of helpful. The key was the suggestion that you could get a couple of distinct sounds which is at least one more than I can get with stock PUs and 30 year old flatwounds :) Point about using the Ricky is well taken. (Does anyone else see "Rickenbacker bass" and think "Starr Stowe"?) Since you can't have too many Guilds, go with the one that has the sound you need at the moment.

Happy Face

Reaction score
fronobulax - last weekend I was pondering whether to sell one of my D-S'd basses. So I A-B'd the JS-II vs the other and found the JS-II does have a wider palette (!!!) of sounds to choose from.

But, the D-stars do cost a bit so it's not a no-brainer....