Tonequest article

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
zulu said:
Ga 55 in Sacramento FWIW 1956 Ga55V
Interesting ... the tremolo device will help sell the amp ... most have gone to wherever Gibson tremolo devices go ... the price is in line with vg/exc condition but the very fine Heyboer transformer and the recones, although great speakers, will probably keep him from getting all he's asking for; at that price, people expect all original.

Don't know if this is one of the sellers mentioned above but unless this GA40LP @ $600 is completely trashed, it's a very good price.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
GA40LP on Craigslist (also now on eBay) looks like this:

3n73mc3pd5O15T35Paa1p78b00f791e0f11e1.jpg
Amp above now listed for Best Offers on CL.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
zulu said:
Ga 55 in Sacramento FWIW 1956 Ga55V
Very rare Gibson GA55V here on eBay Has the detachable tremolo device with on-board controls that plugs directly into the guitar's cable jack. So few made that Gibson didn't include it's schematic in its Master Service Manual. Unusual dual circuit boards but without a stereo jack. Speaker baffle is new ... so little wear suggesting a Buffalo Rob re-cover. Going to go for big bucks.

ga55.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Zac: I see you found LTG's cache of Gibson (amp) adoration... 8) That BR9 is pretty cool, very authentic going by the chassis pic, and right at home with its progeny. For example, that GA55 pictured above ... setting aside whether it's a re-cover, sold for $3,555.00 ... my french is rusty but I believe the expression is: ' ... that is not the change of the chump ...'. Are you a lap steel player? J

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Hi Zac: I see you found LTG's cache of Gibson (amp) adoration... 8) Seemed like a good place to drop off extraneous Gib amp links That BR9 is pretty cool, very authentic going by the chassis pic, and right at home with its progeny. For example, that GA55 pictured above ... setting aside whether it's a re-cover, sold for $3,555.00 ... my french is rusty but I believe the expression is: ' ... that is not the change of the chump ...'. Nice market for those, we need to find one at a garage sale, Are you a lap steel player? J

Couldn't honestly call myself a player. I did pick up a cheapo lap steel a while back, and have fussed around a bit. It's extremely easy to make that thing sound terribly awful. I can play some simple stuff though, and edit out the mistakes and inadvertent cartoon noises.

Maybe if I had a 1948 Gib lap and BR9 I'd transform into a better player?

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
as I mentioned before in another thread, this "must-have" musicians tool should not be neglected, too:
sim.jpg

I use it and it helps!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
zulu said:
capnjuan said:
... Are you a lap steel player?
Couldn't honestly call myself a player. I did pick up a cheapo lap steel a while back, and have fussed around a bit ... Maybe if I had a 1948 Gib lap and BR9 I'd transform into a better player?
I'm certain of it! Alternatively you could work on your air lap steel ... that's an area where we all can improve.

Were you to buy this and not get along with the lap model, there's nothing to stop you from plugging a Starfire into the BR-9. If it's in good condition, I'd rate the chances of your going back to your T1 at 50/50 ... the BR9 is reputed as smokey hot, fat, compressed, mid-rangy ... like a lot of Gibson 50's designs ... not like this ... but more like this (Gibson GA[?] on the right).

If you buy it, you'll need one of Michael's Talent pedals ... he sells them for several thousand Euros ... he might make you a deal (he's back-ordered now) ... :wink:

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
If it's in good condition, I'd rate the chances of your going back to your T1 at 50/50 ...
That good, eh? I've contacted the seller, we're tossing around some trade ideas.

Any idea on BR9 values? The pair together has a mojovibe that has that transcending dollars effect on me.

__________________________for krysh only, not capnjuan___________________________________________

Cool pedal krysh!!, If you can link the schematic, I know a friendly tech type guy whom I may ask to mod a good looks circuit into it. Brad Pitt knob
maybe, not the 'Fabio' mode he uses, though.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Fabio said:
... did you call?
coastiefab.jpg

The price is at / over the top. I don't follow lap steel guitars but the amp by itself ... they run $325-$425 ... but the price driver is the matched thing. I think it's common for CLers to ask 110% of market on the first go-around.

The amp has a single 6SN7 twin triode preamp tube - like a 12AX7 but with an 8-pin base - twin 6V6 outputs, a 5Y3 rectifier and a very unusual autotransformer used as a phase inverter instead of another tube doing the same thing ... used by Gibson in one later model (GA25?) and by Fender in its good-selling '70-'82 Musicmaster amps. It also uses an 8" Field Coil speaker ... no permanent magnet in the speaker; current is brought from the chassis that changes a hunk of steel into an electromagnet ... anyway if any of it fails, it can be fixed.

The only other comments I have are that the frequency response will necessarily be limited by the circuit and the speaker ... won't get really bassy bass and tinkly highs but this thing will break up at 4/5 into the crunchy golden thing ... not 9/10 like the T1. The caps are original or an older re-cap job ... hard to tell by the pics but those caps haven't been around since the 60s so to get the maximoso out of it, you'd be looking at fresh caps which you ... with a little help from your friends ... can do but whether you want to carve up your new rig ... that's another matter.

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Fabio said:
The soundtrack to 'Indecent Exposure' is a romantic mix of music that I know most women love to hear, so I never keep it far from me when women are nearby. Also,The amp has a single 6SN7 twin triode preamp tube - like a 12AX7 but with an 8-pin base - twin 6V6 outputs, a 5Y3 rectifier and a very unusual autotransformer used as a phase inverter instead of another tube doing the same thing ... used by Gibson in one later model (GA25?) and by Fender in its good-selling '70-'82 Musicmaster amps. It also uses an 8" Field Coil speaker ... no permanent magnet in the speaker; current is brought from the chassis that changes a hunk of steel into an electromagnet ... anyway if any of it fails, it can be fixed.

The only other comments I have are that the frequency response will necessarily be limited by the circuit and the speaker ... won't get really bassy bass and tinkly highs but this thing will break up at 4/5 into the crunchy golden thing ... not 9/10 like the T1. The caps are original or an older re-cap job ... hard to tell by the pics but those caps haven't been around since the 60s so to get the maximoso out of it, you'd be looking at fresh caps which you ... with a little help from your friends ... can do but whether you want to carve up your new rig ... that's another matter.

Thanks John, we'll see if I end up with it, we'll see if he wants anything in my "trade stock"

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Good luck Zac; it's a terrific-looking rig. J

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
zulu said:
If it's in good condition, I'd rate the chances of your going back to your T1 at 50/50 ...
That good, eh? I've contacted the seller, we're tossing around some trade ideas.

Any idea on BR9 values? The pair together has a mojovibe that has that transcending dollars effect on me.

__________________________for krysh only, not capnjuan___________________________________________

Cool pedal krysh!!, If you can link the schematic, I know a friendly tech type guy whom I may ask to mod a good looks circuit into it. Brad Pitt knob
maybe, not the 'Fabio' mode he uses, though.

sorry zulu, audio only. monty python experimented with an early looks-version without success,
here is the result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w