Scratch's First Solo Gig

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
How far south of Austin is exit 191....say, from the river? Is this like an open mike, or do you have the floor for the evening?

Nevermind, I Mapquested it. Gotta love Mapquest.....it doesn't show a road at exit 191. They take me all the way to Dallas then south through Waco....all interstate. I love the drive down highway 21 myself, but 79 is faster. Either way, it would be a pretty drive at the end of next month I'm sure. Anyway, north side of New Braunfels ha? Then 18 miles......the wheels are turning!

BTW, does it seem to you guys like we sort of feed off each other? Dread and Mr. P gave me the courage to play my first gig, then Graham and Jeff come out with an audio, now you've gathered the courage to play for folks. I don't know, just seems like a nice support group here.

West

Amen on the LTG support group. I've got it by myself... The Canyon Lake exit from I35 is the on the north side of New Braunfels; FM306. Bluebonnets should be in bloom!

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Scratch:

Sounds like fun. I'd come & listen, but my Warp Drive is in for a tune up.

Ross

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Scratch - if only I was in the vicinity I'd surely come and hear you :D How long are you playing for :?: All I can say is my own worst faults in public are to think too much about where my fingers are going (they work better on autopilot) and I tend to tense too much so get cramp quicker - so I really try and relax. If I can get lost in the song and stop criticising what I'm doing it goes much better - try and enjoy it :D

Other points I've noticed - I get hypersensitive to a string being slightly out of tune and any slightly bum notes/chords I've played. Now I just try and ignore them as it seems the audience never notices anyway (and if they do, they're just hypercritical sad gits) :roll:

Take 2 guitars, even if you are not using different tunings. Then if a string snaps you just swap guitars :oops:

Mark's right - getting the first song started is the worst bit :!:

Course - everyone's different - you probably won't have any of these problems :mrgreen:

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
How's the rehearsing goin' Ken :?: Less than 2 weeks to go :mrgreen:

Getting an hour or two in most every evening, Jerry. The gig is two hours; I'll take a ten minute break around 8:00. Put together a set of 26 songs figuring they will last me. My daughter is helping a lot giving me feedback. Butterflies come and go already. I keep changing guitars. Think I may take two 12ers and 2 six strings so, as you suggested, I can switch out quickly if I need to.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:twisted: And a large glass of wine on the way to the show.........I like burgundy. Really, it will help settle your nerves....works for me.

West

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
:twisted: And a large glass of wine on the way to the show.........I like burgundy. Really, it will help settle your nerves....works for me.

West

Merlot! Here's Ninfa's... Shirt & shoes required... :D :eek:

Ninfas2.jpg

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Now I thought wine would be OK for Californians - but surely a Texan would have beer, whisky or tequila (or all 3) to steady the nerves (personally I like beer to hand when singing) :mrgreen:

Worth haveing some easy to do songs while warming up - again personally (may not be a problem for others) I get a bit tense and this transfers to my hands and the left in particular gets a bit cramped so although I can do a lot of songs in a row in private, my wrist and fingers feel really tired quickly at first in public, so something easy to play but with a good song gives me a bit of a rest :roll:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Didn't intend for him to get shootfaced there Jer, just knock the edge off.

Hey Kenny, do you have a digital video camera? Man I wish we could be there.

West

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Ready for Ninfo's Kenney Bob?

West

I don't know if I'll ever be ready, West. Although frightening, the anticipation and preparation have been a blast. My eBay amp arrived yesterday and I tried it out for the first time last night. I have lots to learn there in terms of the settings for voice, instrument, etc...

Pam and I had dinner at Ninfa's earlier this week. We're regulars there every Monday evening and have gotten to know the owners and staff well. They are among the very nicest folks who reside at the lake. Anyway, Sandy (owner) asked me what I wanted posted on the small electric sign they have out front. I replied that I hadn't even considered that. After thinking for a moment, I said "simply put Scratch on the sign". Pam loudly disagreed and wanted it to read Custic's by Ken. Next thing you know some other folks in the dining room started making suggestions and it became a really fun discussion. Sandy eventually said "Hey, I kinda like Scratch!" Pam says OK as long as we make it read 'Acoustics by Scratch'. More pressure; more nervous than ever!

Maddie turns five tomorrow. The other night I told her that if I mess up real bad, she needs to walk up and start acting cute while I exit the back door... :? That little girl doesn't have a shy bone in her body; she'd do it in a heartbeat!! :D :D

100_1087.jpg

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pam says OK as long as we make it read 'Acoustics by Scratch'

Holy Moly Scratchman, you're gonna be the headliner. !!! Way cool.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Pam says OK as long as we make it read 'Acoustics by Scratch'

Holy Moly Scratchman, you're gonna be the headliner. !!! Way cool.

Wish you could be here to throw in some lead guitar, Jeff. I've been working on a couple of Tom Petty songs that scream for lead. Maybe I'll whistle those parts. :oops: :oops: :? :shock:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maddie turns five tomorrow. The other night I told her that if I mess up real bad, she needs to walk up and start acting cute while I exit the back door... That little girl doesn't have a shy bone in her body; she'd do it in a heartbeat

Kenny,

You're plenty good enough you don't need me hacking away. Trust me Pardner, If I was in town I'd do it in a minute.

PS, Maddie's adorable.

This one turned two a week ago. Lil critter weighed 3 lbs 4 oz when she was born. Tiny, I held her in the palm of my hand & her little legs barely reached my wrist.
Tiny, but perfect, never a sick day in her life, and bright; They're all bright, what a gift. Her mother is a source of personal pride.

090638.jpg

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Maddie turns five tomorrow. The other night I told her that if I mess up real bad, she needs to walk up and start acting cute while I exit the back door... That little girl doesn't have a shy bone in her body; she'd do it in a heartbeat

Kenny,

You're plenty good enough you don't need me hacking away. Trust me Pardner, If I was in town I'd do it in a minute.

PS, Maddie's adorable.

This one turned two a week ago. Lil critter weighed 3 lbs 4 oz when she was born. Tiny, I held her in the palm of my hand & her little legs barely reached my wrist.
Tiny, but perfect, never a sick day in her life, and bright; They're all bright, what a gift. Her mother is a source of personal pride.

090638.jpg

She's drop-dead gorgeous, Jeff. Grandkids are such a blessing...

Last time I looked, I coulda swore Washington and Texas were right next to each other. But then again, I can't find my glasses... :lol:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
Jeff said:

Kenny,

PS, Maddie's adorable.

090638.jpg

She's drop-dead gorgeous, Jeff. Grandkids are such a blessing...

Last time I looked, I coulda swore Washington and Texas were right next to each other. But then again, I can't find my glasses... :lol:

I'm looking at my map in the atlas and they're only a coupla inches apart. Hey - what's that tiny blob West of France - got my specs on. Oh - its Britain :shock: