Vintage Guild m20's & m30's

soma89

Reaction score
I hope I don't disappoint any Guild lovers but I got an all-mahogany 61' Gibson LG 0(see the "guitars and other stringed.." section)...one day though, I'm going to get that m-20.

bohemian

Reaction score
I own a 1959 M-20. This was given to me last year by my cousin who bought it new in 1960. It is in excellent condition, virtually unplayed.

My first guitar which I bought in 1961 was a 1939 Martin 00-17. Sadly it was stolen around 1965, I'll recognize it if I see it.

I also owned one of the very first 000-15 models. MIne was unusual in that it had highly figured genuine mahogany ( not sapele) throughout. Though it was a decent enough guitar it was not the match of the 00-17. I sold it and yes it did exhibit a neck problem but these were mortice and tenon style joints and at that time Martin had not developed a technique of repairing them, they would replace but not repair. I sold the guitar to an official Martin Guitar repairman.

I much prefer my Guild over either one of those guitars. Lots of character and excellent playability and tone, not to mention that it's not just another MArtin.

I have owned a dozen Martins though none currently. Not likely to buy another unless it is pre 84.

I am considering other Guilds.. but guitars are case by case,, so I'll try a few and take my time.. Meanwhile I'll enjoy the M-20.

Reaction score
;1266195 said:
Here's my '62 M20, the sound is unreal due to the super thin top I think. Just pure fingerpickers delight all the way up the fretboard. I bought it in 2000 (for $500) when the M20 wasn't so known to be Nick Drake's axe. I change it to a bunch of different tunings and it handles them all. Wow a '58 is, I believe, the guitar that Nick used. Possibly a '59. There was a '58 that went for sale locally that was in great condition....but the price just soared up there. And do I really need two? YES!

m20.jpg

Hi - can you please tell me just how thin the top is? I'm just starting to add mahogany tops as an option in custom guitars and I would love to know how thin the M20 top is. Thank you.
Emmet

Reaction score
Guild M30

Hey folks. I think I have a Guild M30. Serial #1506. Had notes with it that indicated it might have been produced in 1954 but I am a little hesitant to believe that given the information I found on this site. Can anyone direct me as to how to find out more about this guitar? I want to post a pic but do not see how to do so on this site.
Angie

Reaction score
According to Hans Moust's book, the M-30 was first produced in 1959--and in any case, a 1954 Guild flat-top would have a laminate back.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey folks. I think I have a Guild M30. Serial #1506. Had notes with it that indicated it might have been produced in 1954 but I am a little hesitant to believe that given the information I found on this site. Can anyone direct me as to how to find out more about this guitar? I want to post a pic but do not see how to do so on this site.
Angie
Hi Angie, and Welcome! First, congrats on having an M-30 Del Rio; those aren't too common. We'd love to see pics.
It sounds as if you are missing one number (at least) from your serial number. #1506 would put it as one of the very first Guilds made, and, as has been pointed out, the M-30 wasn't introduced until much later.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Angie

Hello and Welcome to LTG Angie! To post pictures here on the forum you have to host them somewhere else like imageshack etc.. and then post the link to the photos address in the photo icon on the posting tool box. I would advise against using photobucket as they have recently held free members photos hostage and won't allow them to access them without a $400 fee. Here is a link to help you with the process of posting photos here on the forum.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185122-FAQ-Posting-pictures-to-LTG

Best of luck and can't wait to see some pictures of your M30. If your posts don't show up immediately after posting them do not be alarmed. New Members first few posts have to be approved by a moderator before they show up to ensure you are an actual person and not an internet bot. Once again Welcome!

TX

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It sounds as if you are missing one number (at least) from your serial number. #1506 would put it as one of the very first Guilds made, and, as has been pointed out, the M-30 wasn't introduced until much later.

Serial #1506 is probably correct and if it is, the guitar will have a 'Ghost' label and was completed during 1959.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl