New member/JF55/a few questions

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm Stephen and I just joined the forum. My interest in Guild guitars started when I found one of my favourite players, John Renbourn played a D55. I don't own a Guild guitar as of yet (almost bought one of Chinese ones some time ago) but I'm looking for a new 6 string and I have come across a really nice Westerly JF55. I haven't seen many mentions of the JF55 on this forum though, so I thought I would ask your opinions on it.
Would I be right in thinking the JF55 is like a 6 string version of the F512 12-string?
I played this JF55 last week and really liked it. I have pretty much narrowed my choice down to the JF55, a Taylor 615 or a Taylor 415. I'm not buying for a few months yet so I have plenty of time to narrow down further or change my mind.
I'd be interested in hearing anyones experiences with the JF55 to get some more background on it.
Thanks!
Stephen

BluesDan

Reaction score
Welcome Stephen!
Let me start by saying I love the tone & feel of my JF55, wanted one as soon as I saw Kenny Wayne Shepard playin' one up close and personal. Rosewood sides and back, sitka spruce top, ebony fingerboard & bridge, gorgeous abalone fret markers, G style headstock logo........I love everything about this guitar. It's pretty much the same construction as the F50R and the 512.

I feel like I got a great deal on mine for 1200 bucks, its pretty much mint with factory electronics, I have seen them go for much more. I would say anything less than 1800 is a good price for one in very good to excellent condition. You don't see tham come up for sale too often, not saying they are rare or anything, just a little more elusive to find when hunting.

Hope this helps.......I'm sure others here will offer advice also.....great bunch of folks around this watering hole............

Dan

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the JF55-12 is the model name that was used for the F512 for a few years in Westerly. If you come across a JF65-12, that's the same thing as the F412. Go figure. ;)

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Welcome Stephen, nice way to start the Guild collection for sure. I played a JF-65, 55 but in Maple, and it was stellar. Love the big bodies, being one myself, and of course the Guild sound. :mrgreen:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Most folks play dreads and feel that jumbos are uncomfortable to play.
I like jumbos myself and have a 6 string and a 12 string in jumbo.
I to am looking at getting a JF-55. I prefer rosewood over other woods and the JF-55 is a real looker and has the tone that I love.
I also like a natural top over any of the bursts, even though I have 2 burst guitars.
The good thing about a quality guitar like Guild, is that if you buy the guitar and decide to sale it later, you should be able to do so without loosing money on the sale.
If you read through some of the information here, you will see that Guild is moving to a new location. This has people looking for existing Guilds because there is no telling what will happen to the company in the future.
Now is a good time to buy that JF-55 if you can!

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the info everyone.
It sure is a nice guitar and in really good condition. I'm not sure what year it was made.
Realistically I won't be buying for at least a couple of months yet so it could be sold before then, but the owner of the shop travels over to the US frequently and I'm sure he could find another.
It's pretty much down to the three I mentioned so I can spend some time playing them all and making my mind up.
Thanks
Stephen

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
welcome from germany stephen,
don't worry, you probably won't go wrong with any guild :)

zplay

Reaction score
I'll add my welcome to LTG, Stephen.

Anyone who's a fan of John Renbourn can't be all bad. Pentangle sure opened my ears to acoustic folk-jazz fusion. I saw him not much over a year ago in concert and it seems that he's downsized to an OM at this point. But, if you can handle those big jumbos, more power to you.

bdeclee

Reaction score
Welcome, Stephen! I love jumbo bodied guitars; I have a vintage F-512 and a GAD JF-48. And I also love John Renbourn; been listening to him for years and years and years and have coveted his guitar too. Enjoy this site; the members here are first-rate.
Best,
Barbara

ajgorman

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Steve. A lot of the fun is in the deciding which model to go with. It's hard to go wrong with any Guild...maybe start out with a pair so it won't be so hard to decide? :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I am waaaaay back .... have to shout sometimes ... my pleasure. J