What is it about Taylors?

jcwu

Reaction score
taabru45 said:
This is what Doyle Dykes was surrounded by, courtesy of Tom Lee Music, when he played here not too long ago. And yes that is his personal 12 string, a real beauty. Steffan

Were all those guitars there just for show? Or maybe a group top-vibrating exercise, to get the wood to "open up"? :mrgreen:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
At the end of the show the manager of Tom Lee thanked everyone and announced that all of those guitars would be available for sale at their stores...Doesn't hurt to have Doyle on your side, eh? :lol: I think doyle only travels with 3, the orange one, the black one and the 12 string, Steffan

spiderman

Reaction score
One of my favorite guitar quotes "a beautiful guitar, but seemed to lack something, so i sold it and bought a gibson songbird. if guitars were people, the taylor would be kenny g, but the gibson would johnny cash" from a Harmony Central review.
Despite this I have to give Taylor a ton of credit for building fine instruments that many like and developing the "modern tone" to the point that it has become a standard. By emphasizing the playability, the old style necks are gold IMO they really hit the jackpot. I played a 355 and it was as easy to play or better than just about every 6 string I have encountered. While never having experienced it, I have heard enough about Taylor's customer support that the puts the others to shame. Different strokes for different folks with the geezers, and geezer wannabes gravitating to the Guild, Martin, Gibson tones, though each is different. Finally it is the player more so than the guitar, most Stellas were crap, yet musicians who could only afford them made wonderful sounds to the point that high end manufacturers try to duplicate that blues sound. Maybe if Estebans were around back then we would be trying to duplicate the "Estaban tone" :roll:

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired)
Alvarez AC60S 2008
Eastman AC320ce 2008 BOOKMATCHING BOOKMATCHING WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BOOKMATCHING!
http://www.massstreetmusic.com/store/sh ... id-Cutaway
GAD-JF30E(blonde) 2008
JF55 1997
D25M 1974
Martin Grand J35E 2009

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I bought and sold an old Eko Ranger a little while ago...All laminated but from the 70s. adjustable bridge which probably took away a lot of the tone, still, a decent sound, a bolt on neck, that was fantastic, one of the best I,ve ever played...I was really surprised by the niceness of the neck...and usually....I'm a leg man... :lol: :lol: Steffan

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
spiderman said:
I have heard enough about Taylor's customer support that the puts the others to shame.

I can vouch for Taylor's customer service, I took my T5 in to the dealer for a tweak, they looked it over & called Taylor. Taylor took the guitar, put a new neck on it, replaced the perfectly functioning pu's & electronics, ran it thru the buffer & returned it to me looking & playing like a million bucks.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's funny to hear everyone rave about Doyle Dykes, but in the next sentence say how they don't like the way Taylors sound.

P-E-Z

Reaction score
Taylors never spoke to me. I found them rather bland sounding to my ear.
I am use to playing an Ovation, the great neck claims don't cut it with me.

Gibson I never played one that impressed me.
In either sound, playability or quality.

Martin sound nice by are delicate.

tele4tone

Reaction score
FNG said:
It's funny to hear everyone rave about Doyle Dykes, but in the next sentence say how they don't like the way Taylors sound.

Doyle is a fantastic player, but his tone leaves me not listening to his recordings. I've noticed most wankers have cruddy tone.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Roman said:
Rich said:
I've played some very nice Taylors, and while they did sound and play nice, none of them were cannons.

They really have not been marketed nor advertised as cannons. They are evenly balanced with excellent tone, and like everything else, each to their own. But as you can see, I like 'em . . . and I like all the rest too.

You've got some pretty guitars there, and probably a room full of sounds to choose from, but I cringe when I see nice guitars sitting on that rubber tubing. A leather or fabric sleeve over them, and some people have mentioned a clear plastic tube works, will prevent a reaction with the guitars finish, and will scar and mar the Guitar, over time, many of us have seen or own guitars that have a couple of marks at the top of the neck where they were hanging on this type of rubber. Also vinyl straps eat the finish if in contact with it...regards, Steffan

MojoTooth

Reaction score
Please no one get angry but I have never really thought Taylors were anything special. Great guitars by most people standards and they are surely nice looking, but I have played several and would take a Guild or a Collings any day of the week over a Taylor. Just my opinion though no offense to anyone.

cuthbert

Reaction score
MojoTooth said:
Please no one get angry but I have never really thought Taylors were anything special. Great guitars by most people standards and they are surely nice looking, but I have played several and would take a Guild or a Collings any day of the week over a Taylor. Just my opinion though no offense to anyone.

Agreed, and I also add that these guitars are ridicously overpriced.

cjd-player

Reaction score
Graham said:
MojoTooth said:
Just my opinion though no offense to anyone.

It's tough to offend us Mojo, mostly because we forget stuff from one thread to the next, but I'm really not sure, hopeful yes, that the Penguins can repeat.

I don't no.
With Ben Cheezburger suspended it mite be tuf for them to get enough runs. :?
moronic-idiot.jpg

jazzmang

Reaction score
I think that Taylor does a better job of making great looking guitars than they do making great sounding guitars.

I have more to say, but its too early in the morning for me to think straight. :D