Big necks!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of my work buddies is a gigging musician and he recently switched assignments, where he now has a couple hours without kids or wife. As a result, he's been getting back into Joe Pass-type jazz. He's probably going to be getting an archtop in the next year, but he's looking for a fairly clubby neck. He says the neck on his tele is too thin for the type of chord-based jazz he likes. Any suggestions on make/model?

One caveat, he's got a couple of kids in Catholic school, so I doubt he'll be dropping a couple of large on it. :lol:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I hate to say the G----- word, but they are the original clubby, chubby neck folks. Neck profile is such a personal thing too. Budget is also a big factor. What's his budget? Under $500? Under $1000?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Catholic High school.

Probably under a thousand. I recommended the Electromatics to him, but I think that the necks would be a little skinny for him. The 'jet has a neck he would like, but I haven't played a new Gretsch. I'm on an opinion gathering mission, so price isn't as much of a factor.

guildzilla

Reaction score
Best suggestion I could offer would be a 1940's/50's Gibson ES-125.

Seems to me that the necks got thinner as the years went forward.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe one of the new Harmonys. Fortunately, his not in a hurry. He's a great player, but he isn't confident in his jazz chops.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think guildzilla's suggestion is a good one. The 50s and early 60s Gibson ES-125s and 225s are one of those guitars that everyone thinks is worth more than they are. They often sell for under $1000 with repairs or non-original parts, especially the non-cutaways. Big-ole chunky necks as well, that got thinner in the early-60s. These are thin hollow-bodys.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1957-GIBSON-ES-...oryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A newer suggestion is the ES-135--a perfect do-it-all thin hollow body or the ES-137 semi-hollows that also regularly sell used for under $1000. With 137s only the simple models sell for cheaper.
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1769698

To keep it in the family, the Guild T-50s or X-50s also seem to sell commonly for under $1000. Again, 50s and early 60s for thicker neck profile.

I've played a couple Ibanez archtops, and they're well-built, good-sounding guitars. However, they have wider necks that may take getting used to.