Open mics (slowly improving)

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Some of you might recall an earlier thread I started when I first began playing open mics. Well, it's been just over a year now since my journey began, and I've managed to fit in 9 during these first 12 months. There were big lapses in getting out at certain points which makes it harder when I finally got back to it, but I've played out the last 2 weeks now in addition to another time in January so things are starting to feel a bit less stressful at the moment. I'm playing out again tomorrow and maybe Wednesday so hopefully that is the case!

The songs I play are ridiculously basic and I still make mistakes each time, but at least 2/3rd's of most sets are original tunes, which seems rare at least at the places I've played. Just thought I'd post some stats on my first year out, and solicit feedback from more experienced players here on what I should be aiming to do more or less of, etc. Any comments are more than welcome... they're encouraged.

- Played a total of 12 different songs
- 8 originals
- 4 covers (1 Stones, the rest much more obscure)
- Played 3 different open mic locations
- Used 6 different guitars
- Never played the same exact set twice
- Switched up the order of the same 3 songs once
- Played with a drummer 3 times

Quick funny story... last week I had my D15 out at this place in Patchogue, NY (real close to Blues Dan if he sees this), and this guy sees me open my case and starts freaking out that I have the same guitar as him and a Guild... actually, he has a late 70's D25, but they look pretty much identical aside from the finish. He was like "F*@k Martin, Guilds are the best!!!!". Anyways, this was something that made me think of my fellow LTG'ers and was enough to prompt me to post the rest of this stuff.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Same here, but you asked that the "more experienced" guys comment. I guess I've played several small gigs in the past 1 1/2 years, and I couldn't tell you really what I've played. I've never had a "set", but just kind of get up there and do whatever comes to mind, no matter how bad it is. :oops: You say your songs are easy to play, but not if you don't know them. I couldn't write that many songs in a lifetime, my hat is off to you.

Your doing great Fungus, keep it up.

West

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
West R Lee said:
Same here, but you asked that the "more experienced" guys comment. I guess I've played several small gigs in the past 1 1/2 years, and I couldn't tell you really what I've played. I've never had a "set", but just kind of get up there and do whatever comes to mind, no matter how bad it is. :oops: You say your songs are easy to play, but not if you don't know them. I couldn't write that many songs in a lifetime, my hat is off to you.

Your doing great Fungus, keep it up.

West

What West said + 1 :)

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Fungus asked for comments:

Here are some thoughts on the subject that I put together. No doubt other folks will contribute as well. Sounds like you’re on the right track, though!

It’s supposed to be fun. Have fun. Don’t take yourself too seriously. It’s not art, it’s entertainment.
When it’s your turn, get up on stage and start playing. Keep your on-stage “preparation time” to a minimum. Don’t tune on stage. Don’t open a water bottle. Don’t shuffle papers. Don’t pull out your glasses to read the set list. All these things waste the audience’s time, and they won’t appreciate it. Be prepared.
Stand, rather than sit. Avoid using sheet music on a stand. From the audience’s perspective it’s not very entertaining to watch someone sitting on a chair, half-hidden behind a music stand.
Memorise the songs. Looking at sheet music detracts from the performance. Also, the more you practice, the fewer mistakes you will make.
Think about the order of play. This is less important for a two-song open stage set, but more important for a longer set. For a two-song set I usually order them fast – slow, but there are exceptions. For longer sets, alternate between fast & slow, fingerpicked & strummed, humourous and serious. Open with a song that will grab the audience’s attention - usually a faster tune.
It’s not that important to vary the order of songs from one appearance to the next. Even if the audience consists of regulars, they probably won’t remember what you did last time. However, it’s fun to experiment by changing the order of songs, the tempo of a song, etc etc.
Don’t let stage fright get the better of you. Everyone suffers from stage fright, to some degree. In my case, it fades quickly after a few bars (of music).
Be sober while on stage. Drink later.
Keep the between-song chat to a minimum. Introduce the song briefly, then play it. Don’t ramble. The occasional humourous comment is acceptable, especially if self-depreciating. Never criticize or badmouth anyone from the stage.
Don’t blow in the mic to test it. Don’t say “Is this on?” Don’t say “Can you hear me back there?” Trust the sound person to make you sound as good as possible.
If you’re using a guitar with a preamp, keep the preamp volume down. I’ve heard complaints from sound people about how difficult it can be to get a good sound balance if the preamp is sending a too-high level.

Off-stage advice:
Be a good audience member. We all like to be applauded when we’re on stage, so be sure to applaud the other performers.
Pay attention to other performers. What do they do that’s interesting and entertaining? What do they do that isn’t? Learn from them.
Talk to people. Compliment other performers on their songs and playing. Ask questions about their playing technique, songwriting process, etc. Ask them what they thought of your performance.
Don’t get upset if someone criticizes you. Learn from it. In return, never give advice or criticism without being asked, and even then be considerate and diplomatic.
Get to know the organizers. Sometimes I show up early and help set up mike stands and other gear. Staying behind to help pack up is always appreciated, as well. During this time I chat with the sound person, who has given me lots of tips and advice.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ross said:
Fungus asked for comments:

Here are some thoughts on the subject that I put together. No doubt other folks will contribute as well. Sounds like you’re on the right track, though!

It’s supposed to be fun. Have fun. Don’t take yourself too seriously. It’s not art, it’s entertainment.
When it’s your turn, get up on stage and start playing. Keep your on-stage “preparation time” to a minimum. Don’t tune on stage. Don’t open a water bottle. Don’t shuffle papers. Don’t pull out your glasses to read the set list. All these things waste the audience’s time, and they won’t appreciate it. Be prepared.
Stand, rather than sit. Avoid using sheet music on a stand. From the audience’s perspective it’s not very entertaining to watch someone sitting on a chair, half-hidden behind a music stand.
Memorise the songs. Looking at sheet music detracts from the performance. Also, the more you practice, the fewer mistakes you will make.
Think about the order of play. This is less important for a two-song open stage set, but more important for a longer set. For a two-song set I usually order them fast – slow, but there are exceptions. For longer sets, alternate between fast & slow, fingerpicked & strummed, humourous and serious. Open with a song that will grab the audience’s attention - usually a faster tune.
It’s not that important to vary the order of songs from one appearance to the next. Even if the audience consists of regulars, they probably won’t remember what you did last time. However, it’s fun to experiment by changing the order of songs, the tempo of a song, etc etc.
Don’t let stage fright get the better of you. Everyone suffers from stage fright, to some degree. In my case, it fades quickly after a few bars (of music).
Be sober while on stage. Drink later.
Keep the between-song chat to a minimum. Introduce the song briefly, then play it. Don’t ramble. The occasional humourous comment is acceptable, especially if self-depreciating. Never criticize or badmouth anyone from the stage.
Don’t blow in the mic to test it. Don’t say “Is this on?” Don’t say “Can you hear me back there?” Trust the sound person to make you sound as good as possible.
If you’re using a guitar with a preamp, keep the preamp volume down. I’ve heard complaints from sound people about how difficult it can be to get a good sound balance if the preamp is sending a too-high level.

Off-stage advice:
Be a good audience member. We all like to be applauded when we’re on stage, so be sure to applaud the other performers.
Pay attention to other performers. What do they do that’s interesting and entertaining? What do they do that isn’t? Learn from them.
Talk to people. Compliment other performers on their songs and playing. Ask questions about their playing technique, songwriting process, etc. Ask them what they thought of your performance.
Don’t get upset if someone criticizes you. Learn from it. In return, never give advice or criticism without being asked, and even then be considerate and diplomatic.
Get to know the organizers. Sometimes I show up early and help set up mike stands and other gear. Staying behind to help pack up is always appreciated, as well. During this time I chat with the sound person, who has given me lots of tips and advice.
Great comments, Ross. I agree pretty much with all of them, though I don't always follow all of them. :oops:
Mo' Phat Tuesday is the name of the local open mic I attend nearly every Tuesday. You're welcome to check out how well everyone follows all these good tips and hints at this one! I have quite a few more recent video clips to add to this website, but it will take a couple of weeks with the travel schedule I have right now. But enjoy!

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Knowing that a clip of me could end up on the internet would induce terminal stage fright!

R

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
All very good advice Ross. I recall something that happened at an assisted living center a couple of weeks ago.

We usually play in a group of 3 or 4, and take turns kinda like playing poker....dealer's choice. Anyway, I had already done a couple of songs, began about the 3rd song, when this precious little old lady interupted and asked, "Excuse me, could you face a little more toward the audience?" I guess I had gotten so caught up in what we had been playing, I had forgotten why we were there! :oops:

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head Grammy. Bottles, eggs, beer cans began to fly shortly thereafter!

West

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for all the feedback and kind encouragement!

West, I know exactly what you mean about not knowing what you're going to play. I've gotten up with an idea in my head (or nothing in my head), but it can all change on a dime. After finishing I log everything I played because it helps me try to expand on whatever I'm playing too much or relying on what's comfortable, especially at the same place during short spans.

Ross, I feel good after reading everything you wrote because I try to do pretty much all of those things, though I definitely was over-served a bit on Tuesday night! It's funny what you said about self-deprecating comments. I tend to say next to nothing aside from a "thank you" here & there. But, a few weeks ago I got up after several really good players that were getting the joint rocking so I stepped up to the mic before starting and said, "If anyone needs a bathroom break, now might be a good time". This past Tuesday I sort of apologized (while laughing) at the end for screwing up a couple lines towards the close of Four Strong Winds. Both times, people later commented.... one guy told me not to be so self deprecating, and on Tuesday the bartender said I played a great set but that I had no reason to apologize. Now, I can see both sides of it, and I doubt I'll ever change who I am (self-deprecation is a longstanding family trait), but that feedback was interesting to me. I'm trying to take in as much of it as I can.

Stage fright is a funny thing. I'm OK at certain points, but I really get a deer in the headlights feel on occasion when I'm lost, screwing up or struggling in any other way. I just try not to make my state of mind obvious to everyone else.

Thanks again for all the comments, and feel free to keep it coming!

firestarter

Reaction score
Hi Fungus, after 35+ years of performing (I'm 48 I think) the only thing I'd add to Ross' wonderful advice is:
A few years into it I began to wonder what I was actually doing in those moments when I forgot my own song lyrics on stage. The brain is a funny thing. I never really found out but I did learn to ad-lib. Just like guitar skills, singing, and songwriting, on-the-spot improv is something worth practicing, both at home and at shows. I sometimes intentionally re-invent lyrics on the fly just to keep that skill fresh. No one cares that much about lyrics that they'll stone you for singing something else (even covers), it's the confidence and attitude you bring to it.

Imagine what you'd like to be able to do, then practice doing it.

Cheers!

firestarter

Reaction score
Nope, just trying to mess around with "Starfire", admittedly odd because I don't own one. Also there's a family tradition of being good at starting campfires out of next-to-nothing. My son is especially adept. I'm not a pyro, but I did burn a guitar once years ago (an old beater Epi Japan 12-string, hopelessly cracked, broken headstock, turned into a sculpture and torched in effigy {F-A-G?}, now worth $1.5 million in the Blue Book like all the other 70's Japmerican gits. Sigh.)

Thanks for asking.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Wow! That's a serious open mic if they record and post the performances. Do you have any say about that?
Yeah, I kinda took it on myself, on my own initiative. It started out as just a place to post all the audio recordings of players at the birthday party of the host's wife. I have to admit I got the idea from another open mic in Michigan. Then Soundclick started hosting videos, so it was a natural migration. The first videos I recorded were the Mo'Phat regulars at the town's Celebration of the Arts festival. I started video recording performances at the regular open mike to start capturing the newbies that started coming and some of my favorite players. I make sure to let the players know they might wind up on the website. So far it's been fun and kinda kool.

I just remembered, the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville was recording their open mics, too. Not sure if they still are.

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Fungus – Four Strong Winds, what a great choice! That’s about the first “real” song I ever learned on guitar, when I grabbed the old box that my sister had abandoned in 1968. It just occurred to me that I’ve been playing for 40 years (and still mediocre). Also, I’m a Rat, so 2008 is a double landmark year for me.

West – I had similar experiences. When I played bass in a rock band, I fell into the habit of watching the drummer, to help me keep time. The bandleader rapped my knuckles for that.

R

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
firestarter said:
Nope, just trying to mess around with "Starfire", admittedly odd because I don't own one. Also there's a family tradition of being good at starting campfires out of next-to-nothing. My son is especially adept. I'm not a pyro, but I did burn a guitar once years ago (an old beater Epi Japan 12-string, hopelessly cracked, broken headstock, turned into a sculpture and torched in effigy {F-A-G?}, now worth $1.5 million in the Blue Book like all the other 70's Japmerican gits. Sigh.)

Thanks for asking.

I always wanted to smash one like Hendrix (AlA El Kabong).

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
Fungus – Four Strong Winds, what a great choice! That’s about the first “real” song I ever learned on guitar, when I grabbed the old box that my sister had abandoned in 1968. It just occurred to me that I’ve been playing for 40 years (and still mediocre). Also, I’m a Rat, so 2008 is a double landmark year for me.

West – I had similar experiences. When I played bass in a rock band, I fell into the habit of watching the drummer, to help me keep time. The bandleader rapped my knuckles for that.

R

:D Good to know I'm not the only one that has forgotten an audience. :oops:

Thanks guys,
West