If I had to get one that's not a Guild...

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
mad dog said:
Only my Dearmond M-75T is even arguably Guild. Until I can find the Starfire hollowbody of my dreams, here's how I pass my time:

100_2671.jpg

A '65 330. As they say in NY, it ain't chopped liver. That Bigsby is stock.

well I believe there are worse things to pass time with.....
...but it's no sf :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
no, great 330, you must love her.

Horuss

Reaction score
mad dog! That is an awesome 330. Why didn't Guild make a Starfire with P-90s? Or were P-90s an option for any of the Starfire models?

The non-Guild guitars that I'm interested in...I'd like to have a Tele-style guitar someday. A G+L Bluesboy (with the humbucker in the neck and angled single-coil in the bridge, Tele Custom/Deluxe style) would do nicely.

I have a weakness for brown/walnut/natural finish solidbodies from the '70s. Something about that aesthetic...maybe because I was a little kid in the late '70s and my parents' living room was all brown. Brown on brown. My S-100C scratches that itch for sure. But I like more obscure versions of it, like the Gretsch BST, aka "The Beast." I had one of these for a while and recently sold it. Here's one for ya- mine looked just like it.
30U-11235_front.jpg

There is a prize spud on ebay right now for an excellent BIN price. Probably sounds great. If I could think of any justification for buying it, I would. Hell, I still might:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-SG-45-Japan- ... dZViewItem

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mad Dog,

Man that's a nice Gibson. Somehow I missed the image in your original post.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Mad Dog,Man that's a nice Gibson. Somehow I missed the image in your original post.
T'weren't there; appeared a while later :shock:

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Horuss:

Guild did make a Starfire with P-90s, in the 90s. think it was the SF III with Bigsby. I was looking for one of these, but would have just as happily gone for a later SF II or III w/humbuckers, then swapped them out for Fralin P-92s. At the same time I was looking also for ES-125TDC, which is the guitar that sparked my curiosity about P-90 equipped hollowbodies.

Fate intervened with the ES-330, a guitar I hadn't considered because I thought it would be too expensive. Turned out different, and it sure is a sweet instrument. Then, in another P-90 related, even marginally-Guild related bit of gear lust, I lucked into this:

http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images ... iginal.jpg

I had consigned my DA Starfire Special to this shop before Christmas, freeing money and space for the P-90 guitar I hoped to find. Dropped in Saturday, saw this really interesting Peerless (unavailable in the US as yet). Was scheming how to get it when the owner told me the DA had just sold. So instead of a check, I came home with P-90 guitar #2. This one is called a Wizard. It's ES-5 mostly, only a thinbody version. (What a great idea!!) Drop dead beautiful. Cheap. Somewhere between jazz and rockabilly, it feels and plays as good as it looks. I'll post more on it here when I get to know it a little better.

guildzilla

Reaction score
Nailed it, CJ. The Rick electric 12'er is perhaps the most alluring of all nonGuild guitars for me, too, at this point. My buddy, Harry, keeps trying to talk me into grabbing one on e-Bay. Forces me to listen to "Eight Miles High" and other jangly Byrds stuff to get my GAS going.

But I've now developed such an incredible pro-Guild bias that I'd actually prefer an SF XII. This drives Harry crazy.

I didn't used to be this way. When I acquired this GAS attack 18 months ago, I owned a 'Gibson EB-0 bass, a Les Paul Custom, and an ES-120. And just the one Guild acoustic. When I started watching e-Bay, I was probably more interested in Gibson and Martin, and I was also watching for a Mossman rosewood dread. I definitely knew more about Gibson guitars at that point compared to Guild.

But when I saw the quality and bang for the buck I could get with Guild, I went totally away from that broad-minded perspective. I'm value-oriented and firmly believe that I came to the right place. This could all change, of course, but increasingly I doubt it. I feel so well-satisfied.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
for the p90-lovers:

in the late 90's early 200x (hans?) guild made some sf4 with 3 p90. this one is for sale in a shop in germany, a second one was sold a short while ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-STARFIRE-CUST ... dZViewItem
nice guitar but unfortunately no description at all and what I dislike most (beside the price) is, if it is a custom-shop guild, why no G-shield?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I'd love to have an SF12 but I guess they're going into collections now; rarely seen on eBay or in the e-stores.... "...and the ancient empty street's too dead for dreamin'..." For me, chances are it'd be a Rick before it was an SF12 anyway.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
I'd love to have an SF12 but I guess they're going into collections now; rarely seen on eBay or in the e-stores.... "...and the ancient empty street's too dead for dreamin'..." For me, chances are it'd be a Rick before it was an SF12 anyway.

john, never give up hope :wink: .

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
capnjuan said:

The SFXII is definitely on the top of my list. I went into a vintage guitar store in L.A. that had one, it had an $1800 price tag. I asked the guy behind the counter at the time if there was any wiggle room in the price, offering $1500 to start. The clerk said no way, so I left. About a month later I went back to the store and the owner was there. I commented that the SFXII was gone, he told me that he dumped it on eBay for $1200. He wasn't very pleased when I told him what his clerk said the month before.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
california said:
The SFXII is definitely on the top of my list. I went into a vintage guitar store in L.A. that had one, it had an $1800 price tag. I asked the guy behind the counter at the time if there was any wiggle room in the price, offering $1500 to start. The clerk said no way, so I left. About a month later I went back to the store and the owner was there. I commented that the SFXII was gone, he told me that he dumped it on eBay for $1200. He wasn't very pleased when I told him what his clerk said the month before.
I was interested in a Gemini II amp in an upstate NY guitar store; they were asking $500 and another $100 to ship. Based on a recent eBay transaction for one in better condition, offered 90% of the asking. Nobody budged; the store said it was the seller; the amp is still sitting there. Watching for it any day now on eBay.

guildzilla

Reaction score
I spaced out at the turntable during the last 5 minutes of an e-Bay auction last fall and let an SF XII go to somebody else for under $900.

Must say that I like the idea of a buying a Rick. I admire the fact that they continue to stay true to their roots as an American guitar maker. No gimmicks and a very unique product. There is no mistaking a Rick.

I'm mad enough at FMIC right now to be capable of Guild treason. Thank God I have no money.

bighouse

Reaction score
Sobell Model 1 or Martin Simpson signature model would be the non-Guild I would buy (if budget wasn't an issue). Love to post a photo but I've reached the limit of my technical ability here. Check out the Sobell website and/or the music/playing of Martin Simpson if you're not familiar with him.
Bill

bighouse

Reaction score
Oh, Graham, you are the man! Thank you for that!
Bill

(Jeez - I can't even get the italics to work right!)

dklsplace

Reaction score
bighouse said:
Oh, Graham, you are the man! Thank you for that!
Bill

(Jeez - I can't even get the italics to work right!)

the close tag needs to have a slash. [ /i]