eBay Ashbory #001!

firestarter

Reaction score
Hey, here's an interesting item on the 'Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=015

Don't know much about these but somebody I know really digs 'em.

I like the low serial#.

Cheers
firestarter

'72 Studio 302 SB (HB-1's) (NEW LAST WEEK -YAY!!!!)
'73 T-100D BLD (HB-1's)
'74 D-50 NT (scalloped)
'76 D-35 NT
'84 F-42 NT (scalloped)
'88 JF-30-12 BLD

various Martin Fender Gibson Silvertone Time etc.

firestarter

Reaction score
Well, I bought this. Looks from the pics to be near-prototype. I'll know more next week when it gets here. Ordered new Silicon strings too. I've always wanted a fretless, 18" scale dogbone that sounds like an upright. More on playability to follow....

dklsplace

Reaction score
Definitely a different animal, but I think you'll enjoy it. I also have the 18" scale, but wouldn't mind the 21". Original tuners are a bit suspect however.

firestarter

Reaction score
Ashbory #991 arrived in the mail yesterday, pickup is weak on the two inner strings, and the Serial # was listed wrong (late model, not prototype) but what a blast! Took it to my weekly jazz jam tonight and my (large, bear-like) bassist friend had a hoot with it through his '68 Ampeg B-18. Amazing, upright bass sound for so teenie a thang (1.75 lbs!). I might even order a new pickup from Ashworth in England, he's upgraded them since the '80s. The tuners don't bug me yet, but I'm not planning to gig with it either. I might have to wear a paper bag over my head if I do, or else join a Punk/Klezmer/Circus Tom Waits cover band. :mrgreen:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
firestarter, could you throw up a clip? I've always wondered what they've sounded like.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
firestarter said:
.. or else join a Punk/Klezmer/Circus Tom Waits cover band. :mrgreen:
No big hair and leotards? :wink: Congratulations Firestarter; looking forward to learning more about the Ashbory Duques! cj

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just in case you want to know, there's a snap-on bridge cover that your bass is missing. When I got mine it was missing also. I managed to weasel one out of Guild for free!

Here's mine;

Kodak080.jpg

dklsplace

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Hey Don,that's the reissue with the "regular" tuners right?

Nope, it's an original but it only had 3 working tuners when I got it so I bought a set of the replacements from the Ashbory forum. The DeA Ashbory headstocks are thicker than the originals, so I fashioned a back plate for the headstock to take up the slack. Probably should've just gone with a decent set of Grovers though.