just one bass

danerectal

Reaction score
Just don't get one of those bass amps that clicks on every note you play. Modern bass sounds suck. The Breeders/Pixies had an awesome bass sound. A raw, short scale Mustang or Musicmaster. It seems short scale is the key to that 60s 70s tone, you just need pickups that give them definition.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
danerectal said:
It seems short scale is the key to that 60s 70s tone, you just need pickups that give them definition.

Which sounds like we will all endorse your choice of the Starfire, if there can only be one.

As a tangent, a while back on a now defunct version of the Dude Pit, there was a discussion of what equipment to use to sound like Jack Casady. It ended with several stories of Jack playing whatever instrument and amp were at hand and still sounding like Jack.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm for the pilot 605m (maple body), here is mine:

CIMG1687.jpg

CIMG1688.jpg

modded with Delano Pickups and sadowsky 2-band electronics:
killer 5 string jazz bass-sound! not vintage at all but great growl for almost all styles and much cheaper than the modern custom high end basses :mrgreen:
btw, jaco pastorius endorsed these ones in the end.

h60

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Sounds like you mind's made up already!

Yeah I guess so. but I think i was looking for more validation.

fronobulax said:
As a tangent, a while back on a now defunct version of the Dude Pit, there was a discussion of what equipment to use to sound like Jack Casady. It ended with several stories of Jack playing whatever instrument and amp were at hand and still sounding like Jack.

I remember that thread. I don't buy it completely, You can't tell me that Casady's tone didn't get bigger on "Bless It's Pointed Little Head" and "Crown of Creation" and the first Hot Tuna record. Yes all of the recordings sound like Jack, but that time frame when he was playing the Starfire is my personal pref.

krysh said:
I'm for the pilot 605m (maple body)

And after all that, I gotta say that Pilot looks stunning.
I'm beginning to see that I may not be the one bass guy I thought I was :mrgreen:

plague

Reaction score
my one and only is a guild b302f
probably the most solidly built instrument i've ever encountered... something reassuring about knowing you could probably club someone to death with it then just keep on playing never missing a beat!

IMG_5314.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
plague said:
my one and only is a guild b302f
probably the most solidly built instrument i've ever encountered... something reassuring about knowing you could probably club someone to death with it then just keep on playing never missing a beat!
Welcome. Sounds like you gig in front of a tough crowd! :wink: