Enlightened Member
Reaction score
nznavy.jpg

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
coastie99 said:

Would easily be sunk by one of those old battleships with a Ram on the front :mrgreen:

The Newsyland navy has just de-commissioned one of those: HMNZS Admiral Hogget. They can't make up their minds wether to sell it for scrap, sink it to create a diving attraction or sell it to The Shetlands Navy.

Better I say, if they mounted a dirty big "f#*k-ewe, 15' war-surplus turret on it, and sent it after the bastard Japanese whaling-fleet !!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Coastie: you folks could use one of these to get after those kamikazee whalers....a (real) Dreadnaught, the Austro-Hungarian Viribus Unitis.
Viribus_Unitis_11.jpg

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi Coastie: you folks could use one of these to get after those kamikazee whalers....a (real) Dreadnaught, the Austro-Hungarian Viribus Unitis.
Viribus_Unitis_11.jpg
Dang, CJ! I thought you were having us on, since Austria and Hungary are land-locked! I thought maybe there was a joke in the translation of Viribus Unitis, so I googled the term and found THIS!

Who knew!?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Back in the olden days, Austro Hungary included all the Balkan states starting at Trieste continuing along the modern Croatian coast ... f/k/a Yugoslavia. Their navy's purpose was to defend their interests against their historical enemy, the Turks. Having signed on with a bad agent during WWI, their band was broken up aftwards. They built beautiful ships ... doomed but beautiful. The 'United Forces' is, by modern standards, a laughable reference to the multiple, disparate languages and cultures under the rule of the Austrians. cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
You're a little quick, skipping a generation; scrapped to make cars like these; 1930s Steyrs.

steyr.jpg

steyrb.jpg

It's not altogether clear what went into making Yugos...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I'm strong in obscure areas ... I have a good friend who is a naturalized Austrian (it's not Ahnald). To some extent, he is typically Viennese, having a boundless 'joie de vie' attitude. Despite the fact he doesn't own a Guild, he's fairly prosperous. He's amused by advanced degree holders from prestigous US schools; he holds a PhD from an Austrian University founded in the 12th century ... whenever he mentions it, I flash to the threshold of US history; pilgrims, Dan'l Boone and so on ... Like John K and Graham have been telling us, we USns are just full of ourselves. :wink: cj

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Viribus_Unitis_11.jpg

So; while we're pursuing a nautical theme, I've always thought that the Guiseppe's should share first prize with Krysh's mob, for most attractive battleship design.

http://www.regiamarina.net/arsenals/shi ... tle_us.htm

And how about the gorgeous Andrea Doria ? Nothing prettier been launched since.

http://www.andreadoria.org/TheShips/Default.htm

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
So; while we're pursuing a nautical theme, I've always thought that the Guiseppe's should share first prize with Krysh's mob, for most attractive battleship design.
Amazingly beautiful boats; just like the Ities...whatever they do has to look good too; there are early Itie WW2 aircraft designs that look completely Art Deco.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JerryR said:
capnjuan said:
Despite the fact he doesn't own a Guild, he's fairly prosperous.
Is this an Oxymoron :?: Doesn't figure :!: Owning Guilds = poverty, not owning Guilds = prosperity (unless you waste the money on Martins or Taylors and get even poorer) :mrgreen:
Hi Jerry; it might be an oxymoron ... or a nitromoron ... or a heliumoron ... woulda thought that any wealthy guy would want to own a Guid; nearly every poor guy wants one...or a dozen. cj

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
capnjuan said:
JerryR said:
capnjuan said:
Despite the fact he doesn't own a Guild, he's fairly prosperous.
Is this an Oxymoron :?: Doesn't figure :!: Owning Guilds = poverty, not owning Guilds = prosperity (unless you waste the money on Martins or Taylors and get even poorer) :mrgreen:
Hi Jerry; it might be an oxymoron ... or a nitromoron ... or a heliumoron ... woulda thought that any wealthy guy would want to own a Guid; nearly every poor guy wants one...or a dozen. cj

Well, if I gave way to GAS to acquire as many Guilds as some of you, I'd be homeless :shock:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JerryR said:
capnjuan said:
JerryR said:
Well, if I gave way to GAS to acquire as many Guilds as some of you, I'd be homeless :shock:
That, of course, would be the collective 'you' .... cj

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
capnjuan said:
Viribus_Unitis_11.jpg

http://www.regiamarina.net/arsenals/shi ... tle_us.htm

And how about the gorgeous Andrea Doria ? Nothing prettier been launched since.

http://www.andreadoria.org/TheShips/Default.htm

But; the Frogolians scoop the main awards for this...............

http://www.alae.us/Normandie/

Plaudits to Comrade Yourkevitch.

Eternal damnation to all the front-bums who contributed to her destruction.

http://www.worldshipny.com/normandie.html

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
But; the Frogolians scoop the main awards for this...............http://www.alae.us/Normandie/ Plaudits to Comrade Yourkevitch. Eternal damnation to all the front-bums who contributed to her destruction.
Thanks Richard; what a flat out gorgeous ship and what fun tooling around the decks in the 3D views; not sure they ever decided who destroyed it. Much speculation here about US mobsters vying for control of the Stevedore's Union in addition to the .... eh ... usual suspects; disgruntled Martin and Taylor owners ..