Guild Thunder 1 on eBay

matsickma

Reaction score
I can tell you I was disappointed with the Audio Guild 7591A amps. Preamp gain was not enough to drive the finals hard even at max volume. The Audio Guild amps also did not have much high end tone, that is not much brightness. The mid to later 1960's Guild amps have more brightness than most would want if you maxed out the treble setting.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up; will try to get it baselined first. If it doesn't cook; then it'll be a test bed for gain/tone adjustments manipulating preamp plate voltages, negative feedback, and preamp cathode caps. I don't have alot in it and, even w/ perfect electronics, wouldn't expect to get alot out of it. cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
capnjuan said:
... I'm the only BBer with an active Guild amp restoration / renovation project Here
Ouch! I have been putting this off, haven't I? :oops:
I think the words are:

"What's the tall dark amp he has,
Maverick is its name,
Riding the trail to tone nowhere,
Rust is his companion,
C'rosion is his game..."

:wink: cj

matsickma

Reaction score
Two pictures of a old "smaller" 1-10" speaker T1 amp PINE cabinet...
This cabinet was from a beige tolex T1.

1PICS_120504178.jpg

2PICS_120504180.jpg

M

john_kidder

Reaction score
Great pictures, m - that was actual honest-to-good woodwork in those cabinets

capnjuan said:
Weird; subtle little diffs in the cabinets; D handle on the dark, strap on the beige. Chassis straps on the beige, none on the dark.

Looks like a marketing guy got hold of the amps and made them look "modern".

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
Great pictures, m - that was actual honest-to-good woodwork in those cabinets
capnjuan said:
Weird; subtle little diffs in the cabinets; D handle on the dark, strap on the beige. Chassis straps on the beige, none on the dark.
Looks like a marketing guy got hold of the amps and made them look "modern".
Hi John; of course the chassis straps, aside from being more 'with it', are how Fender did it. One virtue of the 'D'-luggage handle was that it gave a location just off center of the top to put a bolt through and catch the cross-member underneath. Once the chassis were stiffened with a vertical metal back plate, the through bolt wasn't needed anymore ... wow ... and I thought only Gibson was running for its dear life from Fender.

Yep; nice looking wood box. Strange that the T1 / 10" had a fine wood cab and the T1 / 12" got the particle board; musta punched through some weight threshold. And yes, couldn't resist taking a poke at default. OTOH; not having reached true geezer status, he has priorities other than stocking up on Depends, tooth whitener, and resistors. cj

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey capn,

Maybe I wasn't clear. The 1-12 black "silver "fish scale" amps I have seen DID have a pine cabinet. Only the black T1RVT with silver "fish scale" grill that I have seen had particle board.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks M; repeating - Black/fishscale, T1 1X12 - pine cabinet. Black/fishscale, T1 RVT 8"/12" - particle board. Weird; the particle board must have been just as heavy as the pine ... maybe heavier when fresh? Thank you. cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Mike: My former T1 RVT is of course now Coastie's T1 RVT; pics below from the re-build thread; all particle board including baffleboard. Upper center left is the cross-member from the back edge of the chassis, up to just below the 'D' handle, and then down ending in a fork that slotted itself over the bass tone control.

The only way to hold it in place was the pressure provided by the outer bass pot retaining nut pinching the fork between the pot and the back of the faceplate. Over the years, the pressure had crushed the pot, I replaced it before it left however I put the wrong value pot in ... the correct in the air to NZ as I type.

The funky suspension in the V1 T1RVT was fixed in the V2 with chassis straps and the vertical metal back panel acting like a stiffener:

backgrill.jpg

The unprotected, particleboard 'ears' were cut back in the V2 (and on Coastie's amp):

cornersold.jpg

Ain't just me unhappy with some of these details; apparently Guild didn't like them either and changed them in the V2. :wink: cj

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
They banned gmail over there, so I doubt I'll be signing up there anytime soon. :roll:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
They banned gmail over there, so I doubt I'll be signing up there anytime soon. :roll:
Gmail?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Too much spam from that email provider, I guess.

I'm pretty sure that my isp assigned email address is disabled.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Must be more to it than that; if Gmail were that F'd up, why wouldn't DKL do something too?

From The Gear Page re/ AOL and other IP addresses:

"Members of The Gear Page that use AOL have always experienced issues with "banned IP address." Rest assured, we have not banned your IP address. A visit to the support website for VBulletin and you'll find that many forum websites using VBulletin face this issue, not just The Gear Page. It has to do with the way AOL uses IP addresses. There does not appear to be a easy fix from our end, but there are a couple of things that you can do. One is to open your Internet browser and close the AOL browser. Another is to keep checking "remember me", but this gets annoying. Try opening Firefox, Safari or the IE browser (or whatever browser you use) and that often fixes the issues."

Does this mean anything?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have no clue, having told enough people to get off AOL in my lifetime. It's probably outdated, because AOL has gotten out of the ISP business altogether, and is now a free email provider, like gmail, juno and a few others.

I really don't need to look at it anyways. It's not like I'm looking for another guit. I was playing Emanuel tonight and my fingertips are still sore.:roll:

The impulse to get a Thunder 1 so I can screw around with the circuitry is kinda strong, though.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
The impulse to get a Thunder 1 so I can screw around with the circuitry is kinda strong, though.
They are out there at reasonable prices. I just emailed you the T1 RVT schematic which segregates the reverb circuit; otherwise it's a pair of 12AX7s, 6GW8s, and a 6CA4 rect. Until Mike corrected me, I had erroneously assumed that the T1 only came in a 1X12 / particle cab; not so, also sold in a 1X10 / pine cab, possibly the 'beige model'. cj