fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
danerectal said:
Not sure where First Act gets their colors but this is nice as greens go.

Dark Stars too, huh?

Yeah, that's how I first heard of First Act. As far as I know if you want a "factory" hollow body with Dark Stars they are it. Couple of folks are using Dark Stars in their standard solid bodies. Fred Harmon's postings on Dark Stars, as the inventor are the thing I miss most about the old Dude Pit.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
danerectal said:
I thought First Acts were sold at Wal-Mart... :shock:

Actually they are, or at least they should be if I understand their commitment to making quality starter instruments. I stumbled upon their custom shop because of the Dark Star connection and it appears that the customs are at least taken seriously. I'm not trying to say I've heard anything bad about them, just saying I haven't heard anything. Syntax challenged tonight.

http://www.firstact.com/

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
I love that bass they made for her. I contacted them and they are not cheap.here are some progress pics
IMGP0311.jpg

IMGP0307.jpg

IMGP0316.jpg

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
shadowcastaz said:
I love that bass they made for her. I contacted them and they are not cheap.

What did they tell you? I used their "toy" to configure a custom guitar that was as close as I could get to an ideal bass and think the estimate was about $1,500. Since a SF II went for $3,500 on eBay last year and bricks and mortar dealers advertise upwards of $4,000 I figure $3,000 for a custom, one of, bass doesn't sound too bad. Am I close?

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
Yeah It seems like that was the range. I guess if you compare to vintage redo or in nice shape, $1500 aint bad . I like the band, chicks that play bass and the color and style of the bass. The DS are a bonus . BTW the Pit is fixed as of this week and it seems to have the bugs out . Fred Hammond was one of the 1st to set up his forum. some of the regs are there too. No Guild yet tho.....
http://thedudepit.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=26

danerectal

Reaction score
Back to the refin... How does one protect the fret board and headstock face during the stripping process? Build a levee and hope it holds???

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
actually I put the stripper on and cover in syran wrap. This slows the drying down . This particular one had paint like putty .I said it will be 8-120z lighter. The front has been a bitch so Im saying 12-16 oz lighter. This has to have a refacing done on the head so its a non issue. usually I use a non caustic stripper that does not effect the orig (In theory)surface. no noxious smells etc. I cover the head face and fretboard w/ tape once i get to that point.M

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
I think there is some overspray inside. The label is in there so if I can get by jumbo fingers close enough (actually my daughter is home from college) I may get the label out and use some stripper on a stick( Huh, thats funny) to clean it out. The edges are going to be tricky to patch with veneer. The edges make me suspicious but in happy with the grain and general condition of the wood. I hung her up for a while 'cause i was gettin pissed. I have to replace the headstock veneer so Im doin an ebony plate on it. I am workin on a logo. I got a wood saddle bridge(hagstrom),some clover leaf grovers and im goin to order some dark Stars soon. Im waiting to hear from my harness maker,he must be out of town.
I might do some very thin binding in the F's but Ill have to sleep on it.
I like the stewmac green dye. Id like to shoot it with acrylic laquer but I dont have a gun . Nitro is a PIA!

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
Hey guys, notice the wine bottle in the background? Life is too short ti drink chitty wine!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
shadowcastaz said:
I have to replace the headstock veneer so Im doin an ebony plate on it. I am workin on a logo.

Hey shadow
matsickma knew of an eBay seller with finished guild headstock overlays. Kinda pricey, though, as in $150-$200. Maybe a Westerly dumpster dive? A link was once posted, but I couldn't find it. PM him if you're interested.

gilded

Reaction score
Does this westerly headstock veneer stash include bass-sized headstock models??
That would be good!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a good question, and I think so. The ones I saw on eBay were untrimmed with inlay and a lot of excess. I would imagine it would be a matter of glue, rout excess and, profile the edges.