shadowcastaz

Reaction score
I am restoring an old StarfireII and i was hoping for some guidance. I see in the old catalog there was an emerald green color. Its hard to get an idea what the color was like. Ill also be looking for son guild knobs and tuning heads to complete my project. Any leads help , photos would be greatly appreciated. Mike

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
shadowcastaz said:
I am restoring an old StarfireII and i was hoping for some guidance. I see in the old catalog there was an emerald green color. Its hard to get an idea what the color was like. Ill also be looking for son guild knobs and tuning heads to complete my project. Any leads help , photos would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Hello Mike,

If you do a search you will probably find several threads about 'Emerald Green'. Emerald Green has a tendency to look different from one guitar to the next, depending on the amount of fading and the wood used on the outside plies of the laminated bodies.
This is what Emerald Green will usually look like on a maple body:

SFXIIGreen.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

I'm the reason there are so many threads about Emerald Green Starfires. I insisted, until Hans convinced me otherwise, that the original color was brighter than most samples seen today. Amazing how memory can change over 40 years.

Anyway below are two green SFs in pictures I gleaned from eBay as part of anither project.

BA-147x.jpg

BA-1472.JPG

FWIW, the serial numbers on both are BA-147x.

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
I Knew you guys would rock. Like the old Pit.The second set of pics were a ? so either my mac wont open it or you could send a link. I like the green . I have 8 oz of broom painted red to get off before I get serious.Thanx again.M

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
shadowcastaz said:
I Knew you guys would rock. Like the old Pit.The second set of pics were a ? so either my mac wont open it or you could send a link. I like the green . I have 8 oz of broom painted red to get off before I get serious.Thanx again.M

I liked the old Pit, too. I have not bothered to sign up for the latest iteration. Too much clutter and stuff that I don't care about.

Not sure which pics you had trouble with but mine were from here so you can link and browse if that helps.

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
BA 1472 is what i am interested in. Now I have to find the paint. Thanx.M

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
If I can get the red pigment out Im goin Green for sure.Any paint guru's out there????!!!!!!!!!!

dklsplace

Reaction score
shadowcastaz said:
If I can get the red pigment out Im goin Green for sure.Any paint guru's out there????!!!!!!!!!!

Once you strip everything that you can get, you can bleach most of the rest of the pigment out of the wood.

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
It looks like a nice mahog grain under what I can see. Im worried there is bondo! I woud try to do the green clear.M

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey shadow,
Whew that sucker's beat! A fun project though, and anything you do can only make it better. Only advice I can give is something you may already know--with any paint job, success lies in the prep, not the painting. Search the threads for Don's (our fearless leader) renovation of a Starfire. There is wisdom to be had, especially regarding wood grain filler, if I recall.

Welcome to LTG and good luck with the project! :wink:

danerectal

Reaction score
Hey there. Good choice with the Emerald re. I have been working up the gusto to do a refin myself, but I'm not quite there. Of course I don't have anything with that kind of finish. Anyhow, I'd say ReRanch is a good call, they have a pretty good range of products.

http://www.reranch.com

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
I dont think they have a clear green . I may go with a car paint supply co. They have vintage colors ,I just have to get a name of the color in relation to a car color. i did a pelham blue that was an Isuzu trooper color i believe called inca blue. They sell touch in spray cans which is perfect for a guitar. .I just gotta remember the site :roll:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
While you're waiting search the board for "krylon" or wait for member guilded to (re)tell the story of the sunburst hidden under white krylon.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure where First Act gets their colors but this is nice as greens go.

Graham, Jerry - I'm referring to the bass!!!