Derricks

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
A while back I was driving out to Palm Desert, CA from Orange County. I was reminded of how the energy needs of our state once led to a man-made fungus upon the land.
CaliforniaVisualPolution1.jpg

CaliforniaVisualPolution2.jpg

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I agree with you completely... even though I work as a driller on the oil rigs. :? But I would gladly except the change from using oil to renewable resources. Could care less if it meant losing my job. You may call me a hypocrite, but if I wasn't doing it someone else would be, and I vote every year for my beliefs what else can I do?
And on another note, making ethanol from corn is a terrible, terrible idea. It takes so much energy to make the ethanol that it doesn't even help the situation, not to mention it is driving corn prices so high it is making harder for ranchers to feed their cattle.
Sorry small rant there.
Crazy pics by the way.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yikes! I did put this in the Funnies, didn't I? My only point was that the windmills aren't any prettier than the derricks were. :) Maybe we need a new category called: Ironies 8) I didn't mean to question your ethics regarding making a living, Dreamlander. Sorry. Anyone who works for a living, is okay with me.

On the ethanol issue: During my recent trip to Brazil ethanol was available at all "gas" stations. Many cars there are "Flex", meaning they can use petroleum or alcohol fuel. Ethanol was cheaper; about 25% -40% less. Brazil is energy independent. They make the ethanol from their own very plentiful sugar cane. Their domestic petroleum production is more than adequate. In fact, a new huge reserve was recently discovered off the coast of Santos. They will not need to import any for generations, if ever. Their prices are higher than ours, but all their prices are higher than ours.
39250020.jpg

Price is by the liter. Green is Ethanol. Red is Gasoline.

Maybe if we can get certain US farmers to switch to growing corn, we can increase the supply and keep the price down. Let's start with the eggplant growers. :p

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I didn't mean to turn this funny into a serious topic, I guess. And by know means did you question my ethics, I did. No apology necessary.
It's not that we need to grow more corn, we need to use a different crop to make ethanol. HEMP, seriously you can get around 7 times the amount of ethanol per acre of hemp than that of corn. Not to mention all the great by products of hemp, including rope, clothes, and paper. It can also be grown in every state in the country and is a very durable plant. People need realize that hemp is not marijuana, and start growing more of it.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
A while back I was driving out to Palm Desert, CA from Orange County. I was reminded of how the energy needs of our state once led to a man-made fungus upon the land.
CaliforniaVisualPolution1.jpg

CaliforniaVisualPolution2.jpg

From our four year old granddaughter, Maddie as she gazed upon the west central Texas windmill farms: " Why do people want to make Texas ugly pa?"

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dreamlander said:
I didn't mean to turn this funny into a serious topic, I guess. And by know means did you question my ethics, I did. No apology necessary.
It's not that we need to grow more corn, we need to use a different crop to make ethanol. HEMP, seriously you can get around 7 times the amount of ethanol per acre of hemp than that of corn. Not to mention all the great by products of hemp, including rope, clothes, and paper. It can also be grown in every state in the country and is a very durable plant. People need realize that hemp is not marijuana, and start growing more of it.

The use of hemp for alternative purposes is currently being studied in Newsyland.

Crops are being grown in several locations; unfortunately one was planted near a large colony of nesting Terns.

The birds ravaged the crop, leaving no Tern un-stoned !

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine millions of cars driving around burning hemp. :shock: I'm sure Graham can post something appropriate. They'd have to grow more food to satisfy the worldwide munchies. That belongs on a Cheech and Chong movie!

West

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
West R Lee said:
I'm trying to imagine millions of cars driving around burning hemp. :shock: I'm sure Graham can post something appropriate. They'd have to grow more food to satisfy the worldwide munchies. That belongs on a Cheech and Chong movie!

West

Mmmmmm - smell that exhaust - crazy man....... 8)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gary: :lol: I thought I invented that joke. I told you great minds think alike.