Installing new speaker in Maverick bass amp. Help!

Dreamlander

Reaction score
Couple more questions if you would be so kind Juan. If the faceplate would be at the bottom of your diagram then the grounds would be on the wrong side, not sure if this make a difference in your assessment or not. I decided I am going to put in the ganged audio pot since I now understand what you are saying about wiring it in. I just want to confirm that preamp stage is the one closest to the face plate so here a some pics with the face plate being at the top. Maybe you will be able to see, if not maybe I could tell what they are directly connected to. I was also wondering if you can suggest any good books on amp repair and reading schematics. This kind of stuff really interests me and as you can see I am in desperate need of some education. :mrgreen:

volpot005.jpg

volpot004.jpg

volpot003.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dreamlander; good pics; too bad about all the gungy but maybe it's just tone cheese ... who knows; you got it; yes, the section next to the faceplate is the preamp section of the control; has the 1.2Meg resistor coming from the tone switch tied the input.

dlsmaverick.jpg

If you get a dual / audio; you can jump out the back half as indicated on the green arrows; in the pic, rightmost is audio in and center post / wiper is audio out; just tie them together. The white wire going towards the front of the chassis is the standby switch; it provides a resistance-free path to ground - it needs to have a tie point - can't dangle in mid-air. When you are in standby, there is signal flowing up to that point but when in standby, the signal is dumped to ground. The dotted white line on the left is intended to indicate cutting the ground leg leading away from the back section.

Good luck; hope it works okay for you. cj

Dreamlander

Reaction score
Just to clarify, the black ground wire that I will be disconnecting goes straight to the sleeve on the input, this won't affect anything will it?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi DL; that black wire should be the ground leg from the back/linear pot section. If it's tied to the ground on one of the inputs, then that input's ground wire will have to be relocated; the idea is to get the back/linear section out of the circuit. If they happened to have tied them at a common point; ex; landed the input ground on the back / ground lug, the input's ground leg will have to go somewhere else. It has nothing to do with the function of the pot. cj