Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Darn, I wish I'd had my camera! :banghead:

d71f92d0.gif

cjd-player

Reaction score
Graham, You're in Canada... I can't believe that you don't have a picture of snow with ice glaze to satisfy Chazmo.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
john_kidder said:
Oh c'mon guys, give this a break. This is actually a fairly important issue, and every now and then it's useful to actually look at a little data before one forms opinions on fairly important issues.

I have and I did.

john_kidder said:
There is just no real doubt any more.

On this we must agree to disagree. Since LTG is generally a civil and reasonable community I'll presume it was not your intention to suggest we evaluate the evidence and then tell me there is no doubt about the conclusion I am supposed to reach.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
john_kidder said:
Oh c'mon guys, give this a break. This is actually a fairly important issue, and every now and then it's useful to actually look at a little data before one forms opinions on fairly important issues.

I have and I did.

[quote="john_kidder":65ac1]There is just no real doubt any more.

On this we must agree to disagree. Since LTG is generally a civil and reasonable community I'll presume it was not your intention to suggest we evaluate the evidence and then tell me there is no doubt about the conclusion I am supposed to reach.[/quote:65ac1]

It's a very contentious topic and one that I feel has too many questions. Also the flood of people and companies jumping in and trying to make a profit off of this makes me sick. Purchasing carbon credits? Come on! I know that's just one thing, but when it pervades daily life in an in your face kinda way as if you must buy into it now, because there is no time to waste, to me raises flags. There are also too many hypocrites leading this parade.

Science is something that will never be agreed upon, the whole nature of science is to prove and disprove.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Let me say this on a serious note, then I promise I'll lighten up about global warming for good, and I mean that. I do feel that I owe Mr. Kidder and maybe a couple others an explanation about my stance. I certainly don't mean to scare anyone with what I'm about to say, but maybe it will shed some light on why I believe the way I do.

I think that the world may or may not be experiencing a warming trend. It may be a natural cyclical occurance, and it may be man made. Regardless, I strongly believe that the threat of increasing temperatures pales in comparison to the real threats that face mankind.

On the other side of the world, in a place called "The Middle East", there are these people who strap bombs to their bodies, look for the nearest innocent bystanders and blow themselves up. During WWII, they called them Kamamazis. The Japanese who killed themselves for their cause were men....warriors who killed themselves and others because they felt strongly that the Allies were going to finish that which they had started by taking the Japanese homeland, and I'm sure through their propaganda, believed that the Allies would rape and murder their civilians. But even the Japanese never intentionally killed innocent civilians via suicide bomber.

In the Middle East, some Muslim groups have that same mentality, only more fanatical. I strongly believe that the United Sates and it's allies try very hard to minimize the number of civilian caualties in the event of war. I believe that radical Muslims have no such scruples, to the contrary, they intend to harm and kill civilians for it's shock effect and because they believe the free world to be such cowards, that we will eventually knuckle under to their tactics. The hell of it is that it is working. People in Congress every day clammoring about getting us out of Iraq. BTW, the very same people that don't want to drill for oil in Alaska. Keep this up and the radical Muslims will win.

I'm all for alternative energy. I love to drive through the Panhandle and New Mexico and see the giant wind tubines turning, but until there is a reliable alternative to oil and gas, we WILL continue to use it and it WILL continue to be the blood that makes the body of the world move.

I get tickled to hear both Republicans and Democrats in the arguement about the war in Iraq taking place for the "Oil". Republicans say, "No, we're there to set the Iraqi people free from tyranny". The Democrats say, "No, the only reason Bush went in was for the oil, the people of Iraq had nothing to do with it." Well, I've got news for both. You're damned right we're there for the oil, and the entire world had better thank their lucky stars we are. Without the flow of oil through the Persian Gulf, the entire world economy will collapse, and we're in the Middle East to make sure that doesn't happen. If you recall, Saddam Hussein ran right over Kuwait, didn't give it a thought. During that peiod, he seriously threatened the Saudis. Let them get over run by a raving lunatic and see what happens?

Then I hear those who champion the ever popular, "diplomacy". The Arabs and the Israelis have been going at it for 5000 years, we back the Israelis (Thank God), and we're going to talk and be nice and it will all go away?

Now, back to where we were. Does anyone really believe that if a radical Muslim government gets their hands on nuclear weapons, they wouldn't use them? What color is the sky in your world? And this threat is here, now! A threat that can become reality in an instant. You talk about global warming.....start throwing a few of these around and see how hot the world gets! Then, shortly thereafter, serious global cooling.

I spent many months living in a country that was 95% Muslim. I heard the prayers on the PA system each day. Stayed in places with the arrow on the ceiling pointing towards Mecca. My company let the entire workforce leave for an hour on Fridays for pray day. These people believe what they believe and they believe that we are evil and should be destroyed at all costs. Not all Muslims mind you, but enough.

No gentleman, I can't get too bent out of shape about global warming. I just see other threats as being far more serious.

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
Didn't you mean Shirly ??? :wink:

It's Shirley!

I didn't take that pic, but now that you mention it, I probably can take pics like that most mornings. It's something I take for granted I guess. Every once in a while a particular vista catches the eye and I wish I had my camera with me, I really need to make more of an effort doing that, there's a lot of peace there. Or is it pice? :shock:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
:lol: Did I get carried away? Yes Grammy, you can get back to me anytime.

West

No West you didn't get carried away at all, in fact you speak what many folks have on their minds everyday.

I was just asking about the sky question, I need to look up more. :wink:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm just not very "politically correct". Just call'em the way I see'em.

West

cjd-player

Reaction score
Graham, To get even further off topic..... :arrow: I live in an elevated area and can go to some hill tops nearby for some great sunsets and sunrises; not that I ever get up early enough to see one.. but I've heard of them. Like your snow and ice views, its easy to take those things for granted an miss the beauty. I have occasioally thought that it would be nice to make a collection of photos of those sunsets and sunrises, but have never pursued it. Maybe a retirement projetc some day. :idea:

HoboKen

Reaction score
Let me say that its good to be back with a house that does not have a large tree down through the middle of it, or no power from Saturday to this coming Saturday....as are some 12,000 in the greater Harrisburg Area still so aflicted sitting in cold hourses in hopes of getting it back by then......Saturday to late Monday was bad enough for me. While you all were arguing over snow storms (good natured as it was), Well over 100,000 homes in Central PA, were dealing with ice. Lots of ice!!

My one friend had the oldest and largest Beech tree in PA. It now sits down over and "in" his crushed sedan and his bedroom and kitchen. And you thought you were haveing a bad day with a couple of feet of snow! The only ice I want to see for a long long time is in a glass!

Global Warming & the greater threat.....I believe there is "some" truth in all that is being said about global warming. How much is what is hard to determine.

However, West hit it right on the money. There are foks who believe that all of those who are not Islamic...even down to a certain sect of Islam, should be killed if they will not convert to thier form of Islam. And they realy mean it! Their "Holy Book" says so! They embrace their own death as their version of the way to seeking the truth and the light. And yes they represent the greatest danger to the whole world that in some way or another believes that the first rule is for the right to and of Life itself. I could go on for days as a former Wolrd History & Cultures Instructor who does know MIddle East History and the odds for its future if you can call it a future without some intervention, devine or otherwise. We do not, and cannot exist in a vacume on this planet. It is no longer possible to realistically think in terms of that form of isolationism. We have eaten from the tree of knowledge and blissful ignorance is no longer ours.

Well so much for heavy issues........and I'm still bemoaning my beloved Steelers fall from grace. At least now I have a warm house once again...until the next ice storm.

HoboKen

cjd-player

Reaction score
Hey Hoboken, we have to look on the bright side 'bout dem stell'rs... we rank No.1 in two categories: most sacks allowed and worst playing field in the NFL. Keep the Pittsburgh pride alive!!!