Those Hideous Madeira Guitars

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
And how many ethnics does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just two, but they have to be really small ethnics :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reaction score
Well too be honest b4 the internet came along,,the only thing,"back then"(i,ve had the Madeira for 20 yrs)
was a guitar show put on the tv one day,,,madeira had made a special,,maybe it was just b4 they closed down in Japan.
this particular one was gold plated gear throughout,,it sold then for £15,000 gbp.

But more recently I had came across a bit of info on the net around a year ago,and it was talking about madeira and Hondo
saying what i said about production times,,b4 1974 the Madeira was a guild with just a diff name and built in Japan.
Anyway the article was saying that the build quality matches a thousand pound guitar of today. Also it was DiMarzio pickups that they put in them,
Lost my hard drive since then and have been trying like mad to find it again.
Bought a solid ash Hondo body off Ebay a year ago because of that article(Les Paul copy)
and built a guitar round it (Gibson 496R and Kent Armstrong super distortion pickups)
and i,ll tell you its as heavy as lead lmao,,if i dropped it,,,i,d break my foot and the floor,,,,lol

Also dont know if you lot know this,,,,,,,but Gibson announced just in the past month or so,,that by 10 yrs time they will not be able to build guitars out of wood any more???? so have a wee think about the values of jap squires jap Guilds etc,,,,,,,,

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sure you'll be able to build guitars out of wood. Plenty of maple, butternut, cherry in the world.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Default said:
Sure you'll be able to build guitars out of wood. Plenty of maple, butternut, cherry in the world.
I think the relevant element in punkmonsta's "quote" is that Gibson won't be able to build guitars out of wood anymore....
especially if it keeps gettin' seized! :lol:
(I know, it was a low blow, but it sure sounds like like one o' those unintentional double-entendres on somebody's part at Gibson!)
Oh, BTW< Welcome aboard, punkmonsta!

Reaction score
LOL ok,,seriously tho Gibson have commented that the way the price of wood is going,due to restrictions because of global warming,,
only the seriously rich will be able to buy wood made guitars in as little as 10 yrs time.

I tend to agree with them as I am French Polisher/Antique Restorer and am seeing the price of wood increasing rapidy.

OH!!! I found the best part of the info I had previously found on the net,that I cant find any more,,,had kept it on my memory stick
it goes as follows------------------

Madeira Guitars used to be Guilds import brand. Just like Epiphone is to Gibson now. They were first made in Japan with USA parts then were made in Korea with USA parts by Samick.(which also still makes Sigma for Martin, Epiphone for Gibson, and Squire for Fender but not with USA parts anymore). The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone altho the abalone was fake?. The Madeira is a fine instrument that will last a lifetime if taken care of. Very close to the USA Guilds and Gibsons with only the assembly being done in a different country while using identical parts as their American brothers. NOTHING sold in todays market for under $1000 will compare with a 70s-80s Madeira, Epiphone, Yamaha, Hondo, Alvarez, or Suzuki that was made in Japan.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The source for your information seems to be this forum post. That seems to be the oldest post from this search.

Thanks for the information.