The Guild Office: Elizabeth, NJ, 1980

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
The Guild office used to be located in Elizabeth, NJ, a semi-seedy urban environment. The office was in NJ because Leon Tell refused to move to Rhode Island.

The staff weas a weird mix of young and old people. Leon was basically a figurehead and nothing more. Neil Lilien ran the company, but did include Leon in the decision-making process. Leon seemingly didn't do much except answer to the Avnet bigwigs when they called.

The office manager's name was Peggy-an old woman who chain smoked cigarettes all day. Yech! I didn't have to answer to her at all. I worked for Neil.

Ray Portal was the affable, Cuban sales manager. He had a semi-fiery temper, but was a decent guy to work with. I liked him.

The CFO was a very sad old Jewish man whose name escapes me right now. I was told he lost his entire family in the Holocaust during WWII. He barely ever spoke to anyone and only came out of his small office to use the john.

Hank was the collections manager. He was also an old Jewish man who used to go into the warehouse and break wind. That always cracked us up.

Bob Bromberg was the NY/NJ sales rep, and a finer man you couldn't find anywhere. Bob and I were buddies. Bob was a real veteran of the music business, practically a sales legend, and worked for Guild for probably 30 years or more. Last I heard, he was repping Randall amps, Remo percussion and other lines. Bob is well into his 70's now and I hear he's still working.

Cheryl was the secretary-a cute, busty blonde who could get nasty at times.
Rose and Diane worked in the sales dept. I was friendly with both and was actually hot for Diane, but that never happened. It was probably a good thing. I often wonder what happened to her.

And then there was Pat. She also worked in the sales dept. She and her husband sold Amway and tried in vain to recruit me. Weird.

And finally, there was Neil Lilien. Let me preface these words by saying first that I truly liked Neil. I couldn't stand working for him 75% of the time, but I didn't dislike him. He was your classic Type A personality-but on steroids. He was extremely driven, impatient, petulant, sarcastic (actually caustic is a better word), and the most demanding guy you can imagine. He drove everyone hard and did not suffer fools lightly. I got along with him at times-other times not. Neil almost turned all guitar production over to Japan at one point, but thankfully reconsidered. They were going to close the Westerly factory. Around 1985, Neil resigned from Guild and bought Meisel Music, an importer of Oriental violins, violas, cellos, and accessories, in Springfield, NJ, where he remains owner and president. I have seen Neil at the last two NAMM shows I have attended, and have resisted the temptation to talk to him. I'd probably make some wiseass remark, so it was better I kept quiet.

There were a few other people in the office, but I don't recall their names. The major players are mentioned above.

Thought you guys might find this interesting.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Drumbob; do you know whether Leon Tell had a son named Steve? cj

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, the man's trying to give us Guildaholic's some great inside info, and you guy's get all silly on him!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Wow, the man's trying to give us Guildaholic's some great inside info, and you guy's get all silly on him!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, thought we wanted to make him feel like one of us. :?

Carry on sir, I'm taking notes now.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Wow, the man's trying to give us Guildaholic's some great inside info, and you guy's get all silly on him! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gee Kurt, it's what we dooo. I met a gentleman named Steve Tell who was/is from NYC; geography and age a reasonable match ... Graham simply forgot; William was the G/G/G/G/G Grandfather ...Hi Ho Siver ... and Away!!!

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks cj. :wink:

de798382.jpg

G

Unregistered
It's OK...I'm used to online jokes. No problem. I know nothing about Leon's family, unfortunately. I know he had a son, but don't know his name.

G

Unregistered
The Guilds of Grot said:
Wow, I was only busting your chops!

Now I've gone and hurt your feelings. :cry:

Nah. Not to worry.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
What a memory.....almost 30 years ago, only there for two years and able to remember names and personalities like that. I can't remember what happened this morning. Great stuff.

West

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Since when do Guild Geezers have "Feelings"? Isn't that song banned by Interplanetary weapons treaties?

marcellis

Reaction score
;1253218 said:
The Guild office used to be located in Elizabeth, NJ, a semi-seedy urban environment. The office was in NJ because Leon Tell refused to move to Rhode Island.....Thought you guys might find this interesting."
-----

I did find it interesting. Thanks. Unfortunately, I've been to Elizabeth, New Jersey a few times on business. I would not call it "semi seedy". I always considered it flat-out "seedy". Nothing "semi" about it, nice remembrances though. Thanks for those.