A Dirty Customer Service Story: 1980

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
One day, I got a call from a Guild dealer in Cleveland, I think, who had ordered an acoustic guitar several months earlier with some special features. His customer was a prominent politician and lawyer who bought the guitar for his son's birthday, which was about a week away. The guitar had never arrived. I went back to see Ray Portal, sales manager, who told me that the dealer in Cleveland had been terminated because he didn't buy enough guitars...but nobody had told him he was terminated! The order was never processed, and the guitar was never built. So, yours truly had to call the dealer back and give him the bad news, after I argued with Ray for about ten minutes that I shouldn't have to do his dirty work. I lost that argument. The ex-dealer was irate and cursed us up and down. All I could do was apologize profusely. Fifteen minutes later, the dad-politician-lawyer called me personally and cursed us up and down and asked me to tell the factory to stop production and build his son's guitar! He was trying to throw his weight around; "I'm a very important man in this city and I can do damage to your business here in Cleveland." All I could do was blow him off as nicely as possible, suggesting he special order the guitar from another active Guild dealer in the city, which he finally agreed to do.

I really hated being put in the position of being the villain and felt bad for the dealer and customer.

Most of the time, Guild's customer service was excellent, but this one incident stands out in my mind as the worst possible CS scenario I saw while working there.

Jahn

Reaction score
the guy was never told he was terminated? poor guy, sounds like the dude from Office Space stuck in the furnace room wondering why the paychecks stopped, clinging to his red Swingline stapler...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jahn said:
the guy was never told he was terminated? poor guy, sounds like the dude from Office Space stuck in the furnace room wondering why the paychecks stopped, clinging to his red Swingline stapler...
Ha ha!!!! THat is *exactly* what I was thinking of when I read this. I think I'll re-watch that movie tonight; so friggin' funny!

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
5ee6e977.jpg

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Graham said:
JerryR said:
Graham said:

Good to see you stuck in doing your IRS returns like a good citizen Gray - (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is) :mrgreen:

At that time of year, the Canadian equivalent is Red.

As 'in the red' :?: Our lot is HMRC, but you only have to do a return if a higher rate taxpayer, self employed or other complications, otherwise it is all deducted by employers. If you were doing a return I think a fine for late return would be likely by now :(

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Jahn said:

Jahn, Nice avatar today!