Just curious about Guild cutaway on ebay

emmyloujake

Reaction score
Hi! I never see my guild mentioned anywhere (1989 JF30C) and then I saw this item on Ebay that looks very similar, but not exactly like my guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-F50-Acoustic- ... dZViewItem

The person listing the guitar is now calling it an F45.

Does anyone know about this model? I'm just curious here since it looks a bit different than most Guilds I've seen lately.

emmyloujake

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the link to the video, that is truly amazing to view! And it does look a lot like the guitar on Ebay. I didn't realize the soundhole was oval, I guess I just thought the photo was distorted. I learn something everyday from this forum! If only my playing improved as fast . . .

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Emmyloujake; The Blue Book of Acoustical Guitars (2005 edition) doesn't list an F45 and neither does Hans Moust's The Guild Guitar Book. Guild usually tacks on a 'C' for cutaway; like it did with your guitar. What makes you think the guitar in the auction isn't an F30C? ... lots of bozos on eBay. :evil: cj

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great clip, sitka! I never heard of Stan Lassiter before, he's great! Thanks!

walrus

ajgorman

Reaction score
According to Guild dating (can contain inaccuracies) F45CE and F45/12's were produced from 1982 through 1986. F45's were produced from 1987-1992.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
ajgorman said:
According to Guild dating (can contain inaccuracies) F45CE and F45/12's were produced from 1982 through 1986. F45's were produced from 1987-1992.
Hi AJ; my bad but I was just goin' by what I had in print. (Ahem) ... many of us are waiting on Vol 2 of the Guild Guitar Book :evil: As I scrape the egg off my face, I'd like to point out that The Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars relies heavily on a certain European authority on Guild guitars .... even so, down doing pushups .... :oops: cj

ajgorman

Reaction score
Cap,

I just happened to be on the Guild wedsite getting a quick fix by viewing the Cd-1 while I wait for a couple of weeks or so. I thought I remembered an F-45 I saw 20+ years ago, so I clicked on the Dating. Like my golf game, better to be lucky than good. I'm sure I will do many more pushups than you...and I doubt you have done many!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
ajgorman said:
Cap, I just happened to be on the Guild wedsite getting a quick fix by viewing the Cd-1 while I wait for a couple of weeks or so. I thought I remembered an F-45 I saw 20+ years ago, so I clicked on the Dating. Like my golf game, better to be lucky than good. I'm sure I will do many more pushups than you...and I doubt you have done many!
Well, I've done my share but Graham has had to stay after school more than I. I also spent alot of time getting up and down from the sand; it can be argued that the worse the iron game, the better the short game...cheers...Fore Left!! cj

emmyloujake

Reaction score
The Guild model numbers seem pretty good for debates around here!! The guitar on Ebay does look an awful lot like the guitar that Stan Lasseter is playing in the Youtube video. It has the same soundhole and cutaway shape. My guitar's soundhole, cutaway, and rosette are different, also mine isn't an acoustic-electric. But the way the burst looks and the finish look very similar--maybe they were made around the same time? I love the Stan Lesseter link, never heard of him before today--what a find!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
emmyloujake said:
Hi! I never see my guild mentioned anywhere (1989 JF30C) and then I saw this item on Ebay that looks very similar, but not exactly like my guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-F50-Acoustic- ... dZViewItem

The person listing the guitar is now calling it an F45.

Does anyone know about this model? I'm just curious here since it looks a bit different than most Guilds I've seen lately.

Hello emmyloujake,

Let's go back to your original question. Your guitar is the cutaway version of the JF-30, which is a full-body 17-inch jumbo guitar. The guitar in the auction belongs in an entirely different category. It's official name is F-45CE, not F-45.
The F-45CE is a 16-inch wide acoustic electric model with a reduced body depth. The model was designed as electric guitar and the CE part of the model designation refers to 'Cutaway Electric'.

Hope this answers your question.

ajgorman said:
[ According to Guild dating (can contain inaccuracies) F45CE and F45/12's were produced from 1982 through 1986. F45's were produced from 1987-1992.

There is no such thing as an F-45 even though you will find references to such a model in several books and on several web sites.

capnjuan said:
I'd like to point out that The Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars relies heavily on a certain European authority on Guild guitars ....

Not sure which European authority on Guild guitars you are referring to but I would like to point out that they did not consult me. They've copied information from my book, which doesn't go any further than 1977 and in some cases they didn't even properly read what I wrote, but that's another story. All post-1977 info came from other sources.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

emmyloujake

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info on the F-45CE. I think I fell for the starburst finish since it's something I love on my own guitar. I'm mostly familiar with reading and seeing the regular older acoustic models, this one caught my eye mostly because of the starburst finish. It's been interesting reading everyone's responses here online. When will your new book be ready?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Not sure which European authority on Guild guitars you are referring to but I would like to point out that they did not consult me.
I was of course referring to you because your name appears in their book and, until now, I would have no way of knowing what you did, or didn't, authorize or contribute.

hansmoust said:
They've copied information from my book, which doesn't go any further than 1977 and in some cases they didn't even properly read what I wrote, but that's another story. All post-1977 info came from other sources.
See above.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thats OK CJ, now get down there and give us some more push ups! :lol:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Nope; no penalty for relying on published information. :wink: cj

Reaction score
I have a Blond JF30 C. Single cutaway, one piece maple, arched back. Not sure what sort of pickup is in it. I purchased it on the Heritage Auction site some years ago. There is no info on this guitar, anywhere. I spoke to Gil Diaz on the phone and he told me the record keeping in Westerly went awry for a few years in the latr 80's after he left the company. I'm pretty sure it was made in '87 and only about 250 were ever built between '87 and'88. it is somewhat similat to the one Stan Lassiter is playing but it has a round soundhole and rounded cutaway. There is not a picture on the web or any info that I can find. I spoke with Hans once about it and I think he said he'd only ever seen a picture of one. Any info would be appreciated. This may be the grail. Cheers.