The 'Mystery' Acoustic Bass Guitar

Reaction score
I'm hoping some of the better-versed guild enthusiasts can help me identify a mint condition, absolutely beautiful guild acoustic bass guitar that I've owned since a teenager. Not to date myself too badly, but this was purchased around 1987. It has a model number '730 30' and a serial number '733 00115'. There are no obvious matches on Guild/Fender's serial number listing online.

This bass has hardly ever been played. I was lucky enough to get it as a gift during my bass guitar lesson days, but I revered it so much, I seldom took it out for fear of damaging it. And so it has sat, in its hard case, for all these years.

In addition to better understanding it, I'm certainly open to selling it off to a good home if someone's interested. Thanks for any and all help.

KayJayL, San Diego

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

Pictures? Since that's what newbies always get asked 8)

If not, look here and scroll down for some B-30 or B-50 info. Do either of those look familiar?

Reaction score
It looks identical to the B-30 (natural finish w/ mahogany sides). It was the Guild person's handwriting that was so sketchy..once you'd gotten me on the 'B' path, it was clear that's what they'd written. And on Fender's site, the serial's match to 1988.

I really appreciate the quick response and immediate I.D. Thanks much.

Now, if anyone's interested in picking it up, it could sure use a better home than me ;-)

Thanks again.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
kayjayl said:
Now, if anyone's interested in picking it up, it could sure use a better home than me ;-)

Thanks again.

Well, if "better home" is the only criteria, I guess the three basses in my sig need to be put up for adoption. I'd be mildly interested but I don't see it as offering me that much more than the B-4E. Of course Grot hasn't posted any pictures of a B-30 so maybe he doesn't have one. :)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The Guilds of Grot said:
fronobulax said:
Grot hasn't posted any pictures of a B-30 so maybe he doesn't have one. :)
When you have a B-50 why would you need a B-30?
(Well, if it was really cheap...)

Complete a "one of each"collection"?

That said, if I'm reading the specs correctly the B-30 and the newer B-4 fill the same niche (treated as pure acoustics) and the B-50 is bigger/louder than either, so I tend to agree with the why question.